Chapter 11 - Cave

Thanks to @AlyssaJGross for the character of Katelyn!

From the perspective of Evie.

What do you do when you wake up to find your arms tightly bound, hanging one either side of your head, in a dark cave that you've never seen before in your life?

Well, I'll tell you what I did.
I panicked, just like I imagine the vast majority of others doing in this exact situation.

After a few minutes, I gave up on my fruitless attempts to yank my wrists from the walls, and instead took some deep breaths. Continuing to panic would help nothing. It would do nothing other than tire me out.

Instead, I concentrated all my focus into analysing the room I was bound in.

The place I was bound in was less of a room, but more of a cave. The stone walls that probably were once beautifully carved, by what I'll assume was water, were now ridden with cracks, collapsing under the pressure of whatever was above it.

Judging by the state of the walls, the rotting supports, turning grey and coal black with age, and the puddles of water pooling at my feet, along with the horrific sight of several human-looking bones, I would say that this place is very far below ground, as well as continually flooded with violent, merciless ocean.

And drowning has always been one of my biggest fears, as I, like Mal and every other kid on the Isle, can't swim.
And I doubt even someone like Harry could swim through water in somewhere like this.
The only one who could possibly survive this is Uma. But I'm not Uma. I'm Evie. And this water would definitely kill me.

The air tasted stale, it invaded my mind, until I felt like I was suffocating in it. The cave smelt like burnt plastic, it stung my eyes, I squinted and tried to ignore it, but when there's nothing else to occupy your mind, it is frustrating.

The source of the little amount of light I was just able to see by was a small torch, mounted on the wall opposite beside a gaping hole, descending into darkness. The flame slowly dimmed, and I knew that it would soon go out.

That may not be such a bad thing; that way I won't have to look at what is in this cave.

The cuffs bit my wrists. They were old, rusting and barely in one piece, yet when I pulled on them, they felt virtually brand new.
Enchanted, without a doubt. Enchantment isn't a physical thing you can see, but some of us can just sense it.
It's due to having ancient veins of magic in your blood, like that which allows Mal to cast her spells or me to use my magic mirror.

I noticed that the denim jacket I got in Cinderellasville had disappeared, and what was left of the skirt was shredded. Mud and what looked like grease was smeared across my shirt, and my blue hair-- my hair is blue again!

This is bad.
It means that someone, has worked out the dark black was an enchantment, and also probably knows who I am.

Then I heard footsteps.

Someone - or something was approaching, and fast. I heard then echo, ricocheting off the walls deep within the gaping mouth opposite.

Quickly, I let myself go limp, my head dropping and arms going slack in their shackles. My eyes closed, and I worked to slow my breathing to a relaxed pace.

I fought the urge to peak as I heard the footsteps draw closer. There was a sound like dragging, as if the new arrival had brought a large bag of not-entirely unwelcome food along with it.
Unfortunately, the chances of that being what is happening are ridiculously slim.