TWENTY || POLITICS, SCHMOLITICS

"Okay, now just a quick reminder, that this school hall is a PTA sponsored event. Oh, looks like we have our first question." Alice said cheerfully, the auditorium packed with students and parents alike.

Fallon and the Serpents sat together, watching Jughead and Betty sit together on the stage for the debate.

"Yeah, no offense to the, uh, current administration, but it doesn't feel like anyone's looking out for the students who are being bussed in from the Southside. Is that gonna change?" Sweet Pea called, the notes of anger in his voice blatantly obvious.

"Absolutely, Sweet Pea, that's our priority." Jughead grinned, Fallon's boyfriend sitting back down with a huff.

"And no one should feel marginalized or excluded here. Jughead and I will be representing all students, North and Southside alike. Next question." Betty said, and Fallon gave her a thumbs up.

"Yes, Midge?" Veronica asked, the Vixen standing.

"My question is for Archie and Veronica. Rumor has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the Mayoral election, won't that negatively affect your working relationship?" She asked, and Veronica gave her a sickly sweet smile.

"Archie and I adhere to the old maxim that "politics are never discussed" at the dinner or the cafeteria table."

A small laugh from the crowd.

"Veronica and I are on the same page about everything, including her family's plans for a prison on the Southside."

The boos came hard and heavy, the Serpents the loudest of all.

"God, he's such a fucking idiot." Fallon whispered under her breath, making Fangs snort.

"In the meantime, however, we're committed to improving the quality of life at Riverdale High, which means more extracurriculars—" Veronica tried to course correct, but was cut off at the pass by Josie and Reggie.

"Reggie and I agree. Except, add the fact that we can and will deliver results." Josie said smugly, Reggie's dumb grin never leaving his face.

"And we're chill, unlike these guys."

________

"You promised us a war. Then you're on stage looking like Buddy Holly, sucking up to the Northside?" Sweet Pea growled, glaring at Jughead.

The air was full of tension as Sweet Pea and Fangs Fogarty V. Jughead Jones went down during the daily Swords and Serpents club meeting.

"We need their votes, Sweet Pea. It's the only way that we can affect any change. Whoever's elected gets a seat on the School Board. That means we're on the inside, that means that they can't silence us." Jughead protested, trying to placate the two Serpents, but Sweet Pea was not having it.

"You and the Northside princess, you mean?" He said, his dark eyes shifting to Betty.

"Wait, is that why you guys are pissed? Betty's on our side!" Jughead sighed.

"Yeah. I've helped the Serpents on numerous occasions. I helped find the Pickens statue's head, I got Cheryl to testify in court so FP, your king, could get early parole." Betty said, staring at Sweet Pea fearlessly. Fallon suspected she had taught her that.

"You did all that for your boyfriend, not the Serpents." Fangs said, and Sweet Pea gave Fallon an expectant look, as if hoping she'd join in on tearing her best friend apart.

"Don't give me that fucking look, I'm staying the hell out of it." She snapped, much to the surprise of everyone else in the room.

"All right, take it down, Sweet Pea." Jughead spat, and Sweet Pea shrugged coldly.