The First Phase Begins (Pt. 1)

Zaban City

"2-5-10 Tsubashi street..." The navigator muttered as he led the trio through the city. In the disguise he was wearing he passed as a normal man. The Kiriko stopped, pointing towards a building;

"There... That's it."

"The exam hall?" Leorio questioned.

"Wow." Gon's eyes popped open as he saw the enormous structure structure in front of him. It rose as high as the sky, making it seem as if it would fall on top of them.

"Here's where the best of the best come..." Spoke Leorio.

"Aspiring hunters from all around the world..." Kurapika continued after Leorio.

Wonder how dad felt on this moment... On his first try at the hunter exam?! Gon was lost in his thoughts determined more than ever.

"Umm..." The disguised kiriko interrupted them, "I meant... next door."

Almost as if hidden inn the shadow of the mountainous building was a restaurant. A small shop, ignored on first sight.

"...'A Greasy Spoon'?!" Leorio came out of his dumbfounded daze, "This is a gag, right? You're saying all the hunter exam applicants are jammed into that dive?"

"That's it exactly." The kiriko reasoned with Leorio, "Did you expect the exam hall to be something conspicuous? Something looked it could hold all those countless candidates?"

"Welcome!" The cook shouted as soon as they were through the door, "What'll it be?"

"The steak combo." The kiriko replied.

"Grilled or broiled?"

"Grilled... over low flame."

"Comin' up! This way please!"

The trio were led into a room on the back; an elevator. It had the perfect setup of a separate restaurant room; chairs, table and food.

"One in ten thousand." The kiriko's word confused the others, "the odds you'd get this far, not bad... for you first run at the exam. Good luck the rest of the way. And look me up next year, won't you?"

"Wha'd he mean?" Leorio's voice was muffled, food already in his mouth, "He thinks we won't make it all the way this year?"

"Third year's the charm." Kurapika told him.

"Hm?"

"On average, every three years a talented rookie triumphs on their first try... so i'm told. Many rookies mentally crack under the demands of the test... while others are crushed by the veteran applicants and never take another crack t it."

"So why..." Gon thought out loud, "Do so many want to be hunters? Why do they keep pushing themselves through this grinder?"

"Don't you know anything about anything, kid?!" Leorio burst forward.

"Being a hunter is the most..." Leorio and Kurapika spoke at the same time, their voices overlapping each others until they spoke the following word;

"...Lucrative..."

"...Noble..."

"...Career there is!" They continued. A moment of silence was all it took for the two of them to notice their differences.

"Goody goody!" Leorio taunted Kurapika.

"Money grubber!" Kurapika fired back.

"The license is only given to fully qualified hunters!!" Leorio carried on, shouting more at Kurapika rather than making Gon understand, "With it, you have carte blanche to enter most of the countries, and use almost all available public resources! Of the 100 richest people in the world, 60 are hunters!! The license is a symbol of fame and fortune- the price it would fetch if you sold it would guarantee no one in your family would have to work for seven generations!!"