Respective Reasons

Not possible!! Not possible... Not possible... Not possible!! No way... no way... No way can i fail! No way!! I've always been unbeatable! Always!! Number one in academics! Number one in sports! No one else can remotely compare! Everyone else is riffraff for me to use and discard at will!! It is simply inconceivable that i could fail! I mean... Me, a flunk?! A dropout?! A loser?! Loser. Failure?! Idiot. Dropout. Useless.

Nicholas was done for. The thoughts destroying the last of his hopes that he could pass. 

"No... I can't... Won't..." The laptop came crashing down, breaking on contact with the unpaved floor.

"He's done." Umori muttered over to his brothers

"Hit the wall." Replied Amori, giving the signal to break him down.

"Hey rookie!" 

"Yeah slowpoke! It's only been six hours." Teased Imori.

"Lookit! He's all tuckered out! Wot a baby. You get this year's pathetic award, guy. How'd a loser like you get this far anyway? you can't cut it, man!! Go home to mummy!!"

80 km... and counting.

Number of dropouts : one

"Nice job guys." Tonpa called over to the brothers. Passing over what looked like cash.

"Thanks" Spoke Amori, "That one's done... For good. did okay for a rookie, though. kinda sad to see him go down like that. You sure can xero in on a bloke's weakness, Tonpa."

"Heh... I live for it, gents."

XXX

"Quality newbies this year." Todo stated to Cherry, " Started to wonder if any would drop out."

"Only on though." Cherry replied, "Gotta stay sharp, keep chugging."

"Well now..." Todo's voice quivered, "...This is new!"

The tunnel in front of them rose to a set of stairs, leading the participants into oblivion.

"Now then..." Satotz called back, taunting dripping from his tone, "...Let's pick up the pace a bit, shall we?"

Withen a matter of seconds, the examiner started to stride up the stairs as the crowd picked up its pace.

"Check this guy wouldja?" A voice huffed right behind the examiner, "Looks like he's just out fer a sunday scroll."

The tunnel echoed with the stomps of hundreds of men

"Prob'ly lose some on this leg." Geretta whispered to Borbon.

A few drops of sweat travelled down Kurapika's face. Busy in his own thoughts, it took him moments to realise that Leorio had just ran past him bare chested, as his tie fluttered around his neck and his shirt was tied to his waist. Running faster then he was, Kurapika reached Leorio.

"How are you doing Leorio?"

"GREAT!! NEVER BETTER! FOUND EXTRA STEAM IN THE BOILER ONCE I STOPPED GIVING A FIG ABOUT HOW I LOOK!! STRIP ME NAKED, I'M KEEPING UP! GO AHEAD AND PRETEND YOU DON'T KNOW ME IF YOU WANT!"

He raises a good point. "May i ask you something?"

"Save yer energy for runnin, not chitchat!"

"Is it really money you're after? I bet not. I've only known you for a few days and its true that... you're an indiscreet fool..."

"..."

"... But as shallow as you say? I think not! I've met people motivated only by money, they dont show this kind of dedication."

"Hmph! Fat lot you know."