Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Ramone

Ramone Wilson rubbed his eyes to try and curb the fatigue. He knew he shouldn't have driven back that night. He'd been working with Alpha Zev for the past week and hadn't expected everything to wrap up to quickly. When he'd spoken to his twin brother, Devon, he'd said he wouldn't be back for a few days. But they'd finished that day and he decided he might as well drive back overnight while the roads were quiet.

Just before eleven at night he got a call from Devon. He flicked his handsfree on and answered. "Hey".

"You sound like you're driving?"

"Wrapped things up early, thought I'd drive back tonight. Should get home about four".

"Oh". That was all Devon said in reply and instantly Ramone knew something was wrong. Out of the two brothers, it was Devon who was always slightly louder and more outgoing – not that Ramone ever went unheard when he had something to say. No, it was just that Ramone let Devon do the talking while he assessed from behind.

"Is something wrong?" he asked tentatively.

"A She-Wolf came onto the territory today by accident" Devon said, before pausing. Ramone didn't push his brother for more, he simply focused on the road ahead of him and waited for Devon to finish the story. "Her name is Tabitha...she's my mate".

Ramone grinned brightly, "Devon that's amazing news! Man, I am so happy for you".

"Yeah, she's pretty great" he replied, but his words were soft and hesitant – lacking real enthusiasm. Ramone quickly picked up on that.

"Are you not happy?"

"What? No, of course I am. She's amazing...I just...do you remember what Grandma used to say about our souls?"

"That we shared one? Yeah, so".

"What if we also share a soulmate?" Devon asked him. Ramone opened his mouth but nothing came out.

Devon and Ramone had never met their birth parents, they'd been orphaned to the Pack as new-born babies. Not that they'd minded, they'd been raised by wonderful parents who gave them everything they asked for. Their adoptive Grandmother was a real shaman, born on a Navajo reserve and grew up there until her first Shift at seventeen. She kept her Native beliefs and had passed them down to her adoptive grandsons.

As the twins grew up, their Grandmother would forever go on about a real Wolf who'd been chased out of her Pack. Worried for the safety of her last surviving male pup, she'd prayed to the Moon for their safety. The Moon responded by turning the pup into two human boys, each with their own human soul but a shared Wolf soul. The Wolf then dropped the human boys off with a Werewolf Pack to allow them to keep safe.

Devon and Ramone knew that it was just a story – a beautiful one that they loved – but a story none the less. But, it didn't lessen the fact that the twins had the same scent. That had always intrigued other people, because other identical twins didn't share scents, yet they did.

"You think she's my soulmate too?" Ramone finally said. Part of him was excited, the other part of him was nervous. Devon was always happy with waiting for his mate, but Ramone hadn't. He'd been impatiently waiting for his mate for a fair few years, so the idea that his mate was in his house was exciting. But the idea of sharing his mate, the woman he'd been waiting for, was not something that sat well with him.

"Yeah, I think she's your mate" Devon commented, sounding exasperated. Knots tightened in Ramone's stomach. "Her reaction to your scent was...it was obvious".