Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

Tabitha

I felt like I had had a surfing accident. I was in the middle of the ocean, wave after wave crashing over me as I tried to get break the surface, while the heavy surfboard anchored to my foot pulling me down and down. I couldn't catch my breath and I was choking.

The waves were deafening in my ear, my chest hurt from the pressure they pushed down on me, my lungs hurt from trying to breath and my heart hurt...because my soulmate was dead.

I squeezed my eyes shut hard, trying to get a grip on reality. Because the ocean wasn't real, it was just a large abyss of depression and grief. And it was overwhelming me and pulling me down, the damn surfboard was pulling me down and down and--

"Hey, I brought you some coffee".

I opened my eyes and came face to face with Devon. I crashed through the waves and surfaced again. I took a big gulp of clean air.

"Thank you" I smiled, sitting up in the bed and taking the mug from him. Devon leant down and kissed me quickly, before walking around to the other side of the bed and climbing in. I leant my head on his shoulder. "Love you".

"I love you too, gorgeous".

We sat in silence for a few minutes, drinking our coffees and enjoying each other's company. The simple things in life were the best way to hold the depression ocean back.

"Day forty five without Ramone. What are our reasons to get up today?" I asked. Since we'd lost Ramone, both Devon and I had fallen into the depression ocean. Some days I had to force him out of bed and other days he had to force me out. We began a count after his funeral – and each day we gave ourselves a reason to keep going.

"Lena, from the bakery, told me she was trying new cupcake recipes today" Devon replied.

"Oh, yum" I grinned, "those salted caramel were amazing. Alright, our reason for getting out of bed today is to get some of new Lena's cupcakes".

"I'll meet you at twelve outside her bakery? I have it on good authority that she is planning to give out trials of all the new flavours".

"Sounds like a plan. But let's meet at one as I have some things to do this morning".

"Perfect". He leant over and kissed me. "Alright, Tabby Cat, we made our reasons to get out of bed so let's do it".

I nodded, handed him my cup, before we both got out of bed. I showered and dressed for the day, before having a quick breakfast with Devon before he went off to work. It had been a hard week two weeks for him – Seth and Mabel had returned to the Equinox Pack with Vance and new baby Waylon – so he was officially on his own while running the pack. He'd never run the back by himself before...it just solidified that Ramone was really gone.

My father called just after Devon left for the office. He'd stayed for the initial fortnight after Ramone's death, but he had to leave because he had his own pack to run. But, he still called at least once a day.

"You been to the doctor yet?" he questioned me, as I walked through the Pack territory with my mobile pressed to my ear.

"On my way to him now" I replied.

"What did you say to Devon?"

"Nothing, just told him that I had things to do this morning".

"When are you going to tell him?"

"Today, if the doctor confirms everything is fine".

"Good, he deserves to know. He deserves some good news" my father replied.