Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

03 | buying my ass isn't an option

|| CHAPTER THREE ;; NOLAN KIM
- buying my ass isn't an option

Tonight being one of the many occasions Nolan needs something, he picks up a shift at the convenience store, and when he does, there is usually no business. In the beat-up part of town, not a lot of people drop by to buy things, leaving Nolan in the solitude of the shop while he earns money doing absolutely nothing. It's the easiest job he has, and since he's in need of some office-suitable clothes for his newest job, he takes the shift thinking it'll be easy cash.

However, he doesn't expect business to come by in a blink of the eye, completely washing away the dry spell as if it didn't exist in the first place. Nolan greets incoming high school students, the store never lacking any customers in the hours it usually does. His mouth is stained with a smile the whole morning until closing, his voice box aching from faking a cheery tone to customers.

When the sun finally sinks into hazy blues, purples, and oranges, Nolan wants nothing more but to collapse onto the cold tile and pass out from the never-ending work. His fingers and mind being so busy, he doesn't realize how tired he truly is.

Staggering, Nolan dramatically leans over the counter. I'm so done with this place. A sluggish groan leaves his mouth. He already misses his bed back at home, his soft duvet and pillows calling for him in his drowsy mind. However, he has so many chores before he can retire for the night. He knows he can't leave unless he wants to disappoint his boss, and by disappointing him, he gets less money.

I need the money, Nolan chants to himself as some half-hearted encouragement to get off his exhausted ass and work. I really need it.

He pulls himself up with all the willpower in his body left, little grunts following each step he takes. About to grab the bad excuse of a broom to fulfill his first task of the after-hours, he hears the jingle of the bell over the entrance. He instantly turns his head, ready to yap at the customer that it's closing time.

"Oh, it's you again." Nolan's shoulders tense as he recognizes the slight slur and husky pronunciation of a voice that belongs to nobody other than the beautiful boy from the diner.

This evening the boy's dark locks are pushed back effortlessly, his outfit consisting of the same expensive get-up except there's a scarf hanging loosely around his broad shoulders. He has that same gentle smile on his pink lips that almost reminds Nolan of a puppy. Nolan blinks slightly, swallowing at the sight as he quickly snaps his head the other way around, holding onto the broom to support himself.

Nolan feels a chill brush against his spine when the dark-haired boy chuckles sweetly, his laugh so soft Nolan's shocked such a noise can come from a person that looks like a Greek God. He feels his heart racing in his chest, so loud the other boy can probably hear it from where he's standing. It's embarrassing to know he's going crazy thanks to a stranger, especially when the difference between their social standings is obvious.

Please go away, he pleads silently, quickly sighing in relief when the boy wanders over to the health aisle. Nolan snatches the broom and the dustpan from its position, attempting to collect all the courage he can muster as he proceeds to do his job without the thought of the other staring at him.

His feet carry him to the front entrance, his head whirring absentmindedly as he bends down slowly to put the dustpan on the ground. Nolan hates the material of his pants, especially the fact that they tighten around his ass whenever he bends down. In all honesty, he wishes he could get a pair of looser pants, but his bank account is already sobbing from his last purchase of a Gucci luggage bag.

Oddly, Nolan can feel someone's gaze on him as he remains bent over. One of his eyebrows raises, somewhat curious as to who's staring when his back straightens once more. Nolan glances over his shoulder at the boy from the diner, his other eyebrow raising when the other boy snaps his gaze back to lotion bottles he's inspecting rather suspiciously.

Was he seriously checking me out? Nolan's brows furrow slightly when the boy's lips pucker as he whistles a tune. Nolan's shoulders lift into a mere shrug as he continues on with his job, bending over now and then to use the dustpan. Occasionally he feels the boy's gaze burning holes into him, but Nolan waves it off, thinking the boy's staring at something else.

There's an awkward silence when Nolan rises, and for the first time he catches the boy staring at him. Their eyes lock as the boy's lips press into a thin line, his tongue obviously poking at his cheek. The stranger is the first to break eye contact, saving Nolan the extra embarrassment as his cheeks grow warm. Nolan stifles a laugh when the boy puts back whatever he's been observing for the last thirty minutes and shuffles towards the front entrance, his jaw clenched.

"Did you find what you needed?" Nolan asks politely, watching amusingly as the boy's back tenses as he's caught escaping. This guy isn't going to get away without a good ol' confrontation from me. His mouth lifts into his usual heart-shaped smile as he awaits the boy's response.

The boy pivots on his heel, his mouth barely even selling the fake smile on his lips or masking the look of discomfort flashing on his features. "Yeah, I did," he admits quickly, somewhat nodding his head in agreement as he avoids Nolan's eyes.

"Are you sure?" the brunette presses, his chin balancing on the top of the broom handle. "'Cause buying my ass isn't an option, so technically you didn't find what you want."

The look of pure horror floods through the other's features, but instantly the stranger coughs rather fakely into his fist as he hides his embarrassment. It's cute the way he's trying to avoid looking like a pervert, but Nolan lets him go, deciding it's best to stop here and continue with the rest of his chores.

Hah, this totally made my night. Nolan's gaze follows the stranger humorously as he hurriedly exits the convenience store without any more words spoken between them.

The brunette shakes his head in disbelief, snorting as he turns around and willingly finishes up his remaining duties for the rest of the night.