Chapter Fifteen: Hope

Barbara Lake was running alongside the gurney as Jim was rushed down the hallways of the hospital to get to surgery. While in the ambulance, they had managed to heavily bandage his stump to stop the bleeding, do an emergency blood transfusion, and hook him up to oxygen.

"You're going to be okay," Barbara told her son, who was...kind of conscious. His eyes were half-lidded, blue eyes unfocused.  "Everything is going to be okay, alright Jim? You're going to be alright." She kept saying those over and over, though she was seemingly trying to convince herself, not her son.

"Doctor Lake, please." Begged one of the doctors, who just so happened to be one of her coworkers. She looked over at him and found his eyes filled with worry. "We need to work, Jim will be fine.  I'll make sure of it." Barbara looked down at her broken son, more tears beginning to slip down her face.

"I love you, sweetie." She whispered, kissing her fingertips and pressing them to his forehead before stepping away from the gurney, and watching as they ran her son down the hallway. She took a shaky breath, hugged herself, and continued to cry, silently praying to whatever deity that may be listening that her son would turn out to be alright.

~~~

Toby and Claire were sitting on the curb, an orange blanket wrapped around the both of them as police and forensics cleaned the area. Claire was holding tight to Toby's hand with one arm, the other cradling her baby brother as she stared blankly down at the asphalt. She was all out of tears.  She was completely drained, leaving nothing but an empty, blank husk. Toby sighed, and gave her hand a squeeze.

"I'm...I'm sure that...Jim will be okay." He said, though his voice was feeble and it sounded like even he didn't fully believe his own words. Claire's only response was her taking a breath deeper than usual and letting it out, which made her whole body shake with the force of it.

"Toby? Claire?" They looked up as a police officer walked over, crouching down in front of them. "We just got a call from the hospital. Jim is in surgery right now and is expected to be in stable condition soon." He said, voice soft and a gentle smile on his face.

"Th-Thanks...Thanks, Officer." Toby said, voice raw.  He didn't want to talk anymore.   The Officer nodded.

"Of course.  We contacted your parents, they're on their way to pick you up now. Everything is going to be okay." Toby only nodded in response and the officer got up to go talk to forensics.  
Toby waited until he was out of earshot before speaking again.

"Claire?" Toby whispered.  Claire shook her head and took a deep breath.

"I'm...I'm just...I'm...scared..." she whispered.  Enrique started to cry, so she let go of Toby's hand to bounce him. 

"I am too," Toby admitted.  They stayed quiet after that, Toby only looking over when the car belonging to Claire's parents pulled up.  Claire slowly lifted her head, watching as her Mom and Dad came running over to meet them.

"Oh thank God!" Mrs. Nuñez shouted as she came running over. "You have Enrique! We were so worried!" She took the baby from Claire's arms and bounced him.  Claire watched as she did, before her mom eventually said it was time for them to go home.  Mr. Nuñez moved over to help Claire to her feet, keeping a gentle hand on her back.  Claire looked over her shoulder as she was lead away.

"Bye, Toby," Claire whispered, hugging herself tightly.  Toby waved to her as she walked away.

"Bye, Claire!" He called as the Nuñez family left, leaving him alone on the curb.  Toby suddenly felt very cold without Claire by his side. He sighed a bit, moving to rest his elbows on his knees with his head bowed, staring at the asphalt as he waited for his Nana to arrive.  He knew that she could barely drive and was terrible at navigating. She was probably lost already. He jumped when his phone started buzzing in his pocket.  He pulled it out and was met with Blinky's contact photo, a selfie he had taken with him back in TrollMarket. He hit the answer button and held the phone to his ear.