Chapter Twenty-Two: Lethargy

Toby hadn't talked to Claire, or anyone, in days.  He'd still come to school, even though everyone knew that he really didn't want to be there.  He'd arrive right as the bell rang, and leave immediately after it rang again.  He cancelled study groups with Claire and Marcie.  He would just go home, and lock himself in his room.  Even his Nana, who could barely see and barely hear was beginning to worry.  Toby wouldn't even open the door for her when she knocked.

"Toby, can we talk?" Claire asked, catching him between classes before he could scurry off.  She was blocking his path, so ignoring her wasn't going to be that big of an option.

"About what?  How I screwed up?" Claire sighed.

"Toby, it's okay-"

"We're never going to see Arrrgh again!  Because of me!  How does that make it okay?!" he shrieked, and all eyes landed on the two of them.  Claire pressed a finger to her lips.

"Keep your voice down!" She nearly hissed.  "You're making a scene!" Toby grit his teeth.

"Why do you keep trying to be nice to me?  You know I screwed up." She put a hand on his shoulder.

"Its okay, Toby.  Really.  That potion...maybe it wouldn't have worked even if he had used it properly.  Maybe it was a dud." Toby shook his head.

"Well, I guess we'll never know." Claire didn't stop him as he shoved past her with his shoulder.  She bowed her head, about to go to her next class when she felt both hers, and Toby's phones ring at the same time.  She pulled hers out of her pocket.
From: Blinkous Galadrigal
To: Trollhunters Group chat
Get down to TrollMarket ASAP!

Claire looked back at Toby, and he nodded solemnly.  "At lunch?" she whispered, and he only nodded .
From: Claire Nuñez
To: TrollHunters Group Chat
Toby and I will be there in an hour.

~~~

Toby begrudgingly followed Claire behind the school.  She checked to make sure there were no cameras, and no other people before pulling out her ShadowStaff.  She cast a portal, grabbed Toby's wrist, and they jumped through.  As soon as they landed on the cobblestones, Claire's phone began to ring.  She pulled it out, and found a video chat request from Jim.  She smiled a bit to herself, and hit the 'answer' button.  Surprisingly, the cell service in TrollMarket was phenomenal.

"Hey Jim." she said, holding the phone in front of her face and waving with her ShadowStaff.  He smiled.

"Hey Claire." she tilted the screen so he could see Toby trudging along beside her as they made their way to Blinky's library.  "Hey Tobes." Jim said with a grin.  Toby barely looked at the screen, and seeing Jim's smiling face only made him feel worse.

"Hi Jimbo." he muttered, before staring at the cobblestones again.  Claire sighed and moved the screen again to center on her face.

"What's up with Tobes?" Jim asked, concern lacing his features.  Claire glanced over at him.

"I...don't know." Toby's head shot up.

"You know full well why I'm upset, Claire!" he shouted, and Claire chewed on her lip.  She hadn't told Jim that Toby had broken the bottle, only that it had gone missing.  She looked at Jim, who had an eyebrow raised.

"What's...going on?" he asked in bewilderment.  Claire wasn't sure what to say.  She felt bad for lying to Jim, but she didn't want to hurt Toby.

"I screwed up!" Toby shouted, and Claire bowed her head.

"What do you mean, Tobes?" he whispered, clearly still very confused.  Toby took the phone from Claire's hands, and she didn't protest.

"I'm the reason that Arrrgh can't come back" he said, surprisingly calmly as he stared into Jim's baffled face.