Chapter Forty-Five: Stalemate

Jim was completely exhausted.  Fending off his Midnight armor all day and feeling the cold, creeping feeling of his skin slowly turning to stone was just so...draining.  He just wanted to go home, eat some junk food, and crash on the couch.  He didn't even have enough energy to make his own food.  Or anyone else's for that matter.  But he had agreed to show those weird kids Aja and Krel around, and they weren't really letting him back out.

"I'm just not feeling very good, it's my first day back at school and I just...kind of want to nap." he smiled sheepishly, and Aja and Krel just glanced at eachother.

"You agreed to show us around Arcadia." Krel said, honestly looking confused.  Aja nodded in agreement.

"On Akiri-" she stopped mid sentence when Krel nudged her.  "I mean- in Cantaloupia, we always keep our word." Krel nodded in agreement, then shrugged.

"I guess that is one of the many differences between Cantaloupia and here." Krel said.  "I guess we still have lots to learn.  Too bad you can't teach us today." he shrugged, and Toby looked up at Jim.  Jim sighed.

"Okay, fine.  I can hold out for another few hours."  Claire took his hand, and gave it a squeeze.  Jim smiled a little sadly, and gave it a squeeze back.

"Oh lively!" Aja grinned and clapped her hands.  "What would you like to show us?"

~~~

Aja and Krel were actually enthralled by just about everything they showed them.  Claire was holding Jim's hand tight as they climbed the hill to the overlook.  It was close to sunset, and if something as simple as trees could make Aja and Krel's eyes bug out of their skull, they were going to lose it when the sun dipped below the horizon.

"So...Cantaloupia doesn't have trees, huh?" Toby asked, racing to catch up with Aja's long strides as she stared at a large leaf in her hands.  She shook her head.

"No, Cantaloupia doesn't have...what did you call them?  Plants?" Toby nodded slowly.

"Uh...yeah.  Plants." Aja nodded, and let the leaf drop from her hand and to the ground.  Her eyes lit up when she saw the shimmering pieces of broken glass in the dirt.

"Your soil sparkles!" she grinned and ran to it, though Claire rushed to grab her hand before Aja could try to pick up the pieces.

"Woah, you don't want to touch that!  It could cut you!" Aja looked confused for a moment, and looked down at her hands.

"Cut?" she whispered.  "Right!  My human flesh is fragile!  I forget!" she laughed nervously before pulling out her phone and tapping at it like her life depended on it.  Claire looked over at Jim, the expression on her face completely confused.  Jim shrugged, clearly not knowing the answer either.  

"It's like they got dropped here from another planet" Claire whispered as she took Jim's hand.  Toby gasped loudly, which made both Jim and Claire jump as they looked over at him.  Aja and Krel were currently enthralled by some carving in a nearby tree, so they hadn't noticed.

"What if they did get dropped here from another planet?!" he whisper-shouted, a gigantic grin coming onto his face.  Claire huffed a bit.

"Really, Toby?  Aliens?" that word got Aja and Krel's attention.

"What is this talk about aliens?" Krel asked, tilting his head as he looked over at them.  Claire sent Toby a half-hearted glare before turning to the siblings.

"Oh, we were just talking about a new movie that is coming out!" Claire grinned a little nervously.  Despite that, she was still the best liar out of the three of them.  Aja and Krel both seemed to visibly relax.

"Oh, well I'm sure that movie will be great and not totally inaccurate at all." Krel said with a bit of a huff, arms folding across his chest.  Aja nudged him a bit, and he just turned back to the tree with carvings in it.  Toby looked back and Jim and Claire.  

"They're not aliens, Toby.  They don't exist." Claire whispered so the other teens wouldn't hear them.  

"You used to think Trolls didn't exist either!  Now look at you!" Toby seemed really happy about the prospect of meeting what he believed to be people from another planet.  

"He...does have a point." Jim said, and Claire groaned.

"Really?  Now you think they're aliens too?" She said a little too loud, and Aja and Krel both tensed.

"Is...this still about the movie?" Aja asked, a little nervous.  Jim looked over at the two of them and sighed.

"There...isn't a movie.  To be honest.  Toby here thinks that you guys are from a different planet." he motioned to his best friend.

"You said you believed me!" Toby whined, and Jim shook his head.

"I said you had a point, I didn't say you were right-" he jumped as there was a seemingly loud, mechanical noise.  He looked over, and gasped when he saw some kind of glowing, blue, blaster in Aja's hand, pointed right towards the two of them.

"Aja!" Krel shouted, trying to grab her arm.  "Put that away!" Krel jumped as there was a sound of metal clinking, and Aja's eyes went wide.  Jim was holding out his sword, Midnight armor formed around him, Toby and Claire behind him.

"What is that thing?" he asked, adjusting his grip on his sword and motioning towards Aja's serrator.  Aja elbowed Krel, shield forming instead of her blaster.

"I could ask you the same thing!  Does this have to do with those...those Trolls?" she shouted, and Jim's sword lowered.

"How do you know about that?" Jim asked.  Aja glanced at Krel, who was staring up at her a little wide-eyed.

"If I put my serrator away, will you put your sword away?" she asked, and Jim looked at his blade for a second, before nodding.

"Yes." Aja took a breath, and nodded.

"One..." Jim adjusted his grip as Aja counted down.

"Two..." Toby and Claire stayed behind Jim, and exchanged nervous glances.

"Three" Aja's serrator and Jim's armor disappeared at the same time, and everyone seemed to take a collective deep breath.  Krel was still sticking close to his sister.

"I guess we should probably talk, yes?" he asked, with a tilt of his head.  Jim sighed, and nodded.

"Yeah, we should."

~~~

A/N

I hope you guys don't mind so much Aja nd Krel, its actually really fun to write them!  Let me know if it gets annoying!

Thanks so much for reading!

     ~TJ