Chapter Thirty-Two: Scheme

Barbara would have landed face-first onto the cobblestones if it wasn't for someone grabbing her shoulders to right her. She caught her glasses as they almost fell off of her face, and looked up, gasping loudly when she was met with six eyes instead of the two she was expecting. She staggered backwards, running in to Claire and Toby.

"Wh-Wh-What is that?!" she shrieked, pointing at Blinky. He smiled a little sheepishly, and waved with one hand. Claire softly held her elbow to keep her upright.

"Doctor Lake, meet Blinkous Galadrigal." she motioned to the blue troll in front of them. Barbara blinked, tilting her head a bit. Something about this... thing seemed very familiar.

"Greetings, Barbara." he whispered, and she gasped, eyes going wide.

"Doctor Blinky?!" she shrieked, and he nodded slowly.

"That was during a bout with a very odd illness but...yes." she shook her head a bit to clear her thoughts. She could worry about this human-doctor-gone-four-armed-monster thing later. She came here for a reason.

"You said you know where Jim is." she stepped forward. She was nervous. What was happening? And where was she? She still couldn't believed that Claire had cast...some kind of portal. "Where is my son?" Blinky sighed a bit, and moved out of the way. Slumped in his armchair was indeed James Lake Junior, head tilted at an awkward angle and a stained and threadbare blanket wrapped around his tiny frame. Barbara gasped and went to rush forward, but Blinky held out an arm to stop her.

"He isn't well, Doctor Lake." he whispered. She glared at him.

"I know he's not! That's why I have to take him back to the hospital!" she shoved him out of the way, Blinky stumbling back as she ran to Jim. His hair was soaked with sweat, and sticking to his pallor skin. His breathing was ragged and uneven, his brows furrowed in pain. She chewed on her lip, softly cupping his cheek. He was deathly cold, she hadn't felt skin so freezing since she dissected a cadaver in medical school.

"What did you do to him?" she growled, whipping around and pointing an accusatory finger at Blinky. "Fix him! Now!" Blinky held up his four hands defensively.

"I assure you that I did nothing to put Jim into this state." he slowly moved around her, keeping a few feet between them as he walked over to Jim. "But I fear it...may have to do with his amulet." he moved the blanket off of him, revealing his suit of armor, though know it was a dark grey, the engravings colored purple rather than red or blue. Toby gasped, but Claire bowed her head and recoiled.

"What..." Barbara whispered, staring at the glowing circle on his left pectoral, five fractions of the circle all glowing different colors. Red, green, blue, yellow, and purple. This armor...that circle...it seemed so familiar. She set a gentle hand on the armor, and sighed.

"This is the Midnight phase?" Toby whispered, and Blinky nodded solemnly.

"Yes. I am afraid so." he motioned to the amulet. "I believe the purple stone is the Death Stone we discussed." he whispered. "It has changed the amulet's powers in ways I do not know of. But it appears to be draining Master Jim of his energy." Barbara chewed on her lip.

"Okay...so how do we get it off?" she whispered. "He's already weak, we need to get this off of him before it makes it worse." she grabbed the amulet, nails digging underneath the ridges and trying to pull.

"I don't believe you are strong enough to do that." Blinky said, walking over and resting a gentle hand on her arm. "Don't injure yourself." she huffed, and folded her arms.

"Then how do we get it off?" she asked, clearly a little impatient.

"Only the TrollHunter controls his armor, we cannot make it bend to our will." Blinky explained. Barbara grit her teeth.