Johnny • Sob Story

"I knew you'd be out here."

Rather cold yourself, you gave the shivering boy a small smile and sat down beside him.

Why he would sit under a tree in the lot when there was a huge storm going was rather insane to you, but it was better not to question it.

Johnny Cade hugged his knees to his chest, imagining that there was a warm bonfire in the place of a pile of sticks. It could have been his fire had the rain not been so heavy. 'Oh well', he just shivered instead. When you sat down, he nestled his head on your shoulder, your neck was warm and by contrast the poor boy was half frozen.

"Are you mad at me?" He murmurs.

You shrugged. "No."

You'd never lie to him.

"But...you told me you were sleeping with the Curtis' tonight." You sigh, resting your cheek against the top of his head, his hair was wet from the rain and when you kissed his cheek, the skin was cold.

"What are you doing out here?"

He shrugged. "Didn't want you to worry, and I don't want to bug the Curtis' all the time."

It was hard not to worry about him, with what went on at home and all. Every time he got a little bruised up or was jumpier than usual, you would worry.

The whole gang worried about him, and he hated it.

"But Johnny, I do worry, I get real worried actually... you know...I feel sorry for you, like I never know if you're safe or getting your head kicked in or-"

Johnny rolled his eyes, shaking his head like he was sick of hearing about it.

"Yeah, well quit it, quit worrying - I ain't a kid, and it sure ain't my fault that my life is a fucking sob story." He hissed, taking his head off your shoulder and resting his chin on his bony knees instead, staring straight on at the soggy grass.

There wasn't a whole lot you could say to that. He never usually snapped and now that he had, his bottom lip was starting to wobble but he clenched his jaw.

"Johnny, I-"

"Just leave me alone, alright?" He sighed, shaking in the cold. The both of you jumped a little upon hearing a loud clap of thunder.

You knew how Johnny hated the thunder.

"If you think I'm going to leave you out in this storm you're crazy." You tell him calmly, putting a hand on his knee. "C'mon, lets go back to mine, mama made cherry pie."

You had to be patient with him.

He rubbed his face, the heavy rain seemed to strip out most of the grease, making his shaggy dark hair curl a little.

"I'm fine, just go...I told you I ain't no kid."

You couldn't get mad at him, he was only sixteen and he had to sleep out in a storm all because of his crazy folks. Poor kid was used to it even. He thought he'd be a bother to stay another night at the Curtis' eventhough they love him like a brother.

He licks his own wounds, wears the same jeans everyday and never knows when he'll get his next meal. And all anyone ever does for him is feel sorry. He rubbed his knees and sneezed, rain water running down his cheeks. If he was crying too you wouldn't be able to tell.

"Don't talk like that, now lets go back to mine before you get sick." You say, standing up and holding out your hand. He looked up at you with heavy eyes, dark circles so deep that they almost changed the dimensions on his skin.

"I-" He sneezed again, drawing further and further in on himself - shaking.

You wondered when the last time he ate was as you hauled him up. He resisted at first, and for someone so scrawny he sure was strong. It was understandable, he didn't want to feel like a burden, a bother to anyone - even though he was far from it. The tip of his nose was starting to turn red as a result of the cold and you were sure that his silent tears would turn into icecles.

"Johnny, seriously, c'mon."

He got up slowly when you tugged him, groaning quietly that his back ached, then quickly adding on that it didn't feel that bad.

Yup, he was catching a cold alright.

The two of you managed to trudge it back to your place and his jean jacket was soaked through completely by the time you'd gotten to the door and let in by your ma. Johnny Cade greeted her with tired eyes and a small smile, murmuring that he hoped he wasn't no bother.

That kid nearly passed out on the way up the stairs, grateful once you cuddled beside him, tucked safely under a thick blanket.

"M'sorry about earlier." He croaked.

You pressed a soft kiss just below his ear, running your fingers through his half dry - half damp semi curls, telling him it was alright.

"Its just, I never want you to feel like you have to-"

"Shh, its ok...I love you, Johnny."

He smiled, fighting to keep those sleepy eyes open.

"I love you too."