Ponyboy & Johnny • Playing Chicken

Johnny Cade always had his nails cut real short, his knuckles seemed permanantly bruised and I wondered what had happened under the bandaid on his left forefinger. He had small wrists too, I could see because it was hot out and he wasn't wearing that one jean jacket he had, just a white shirt - and it was getting dirty from pressing his body to the ground, opposite me and right beside Pony, hands on the track as we all waited for the train to come.

It was Ponyboy's idea to play chicken and next to doe eyed Johnny Cade he was looking brave, grinning at us.

"Scared?"

"You wish, Curtis" Johnny had something to say, looking head on to wait for the train to come. He wasn't about to risk turning his head away, not for one second.

Curly Shepard was next to me, he came along too since he was always ready to do stupid things, and the more people, the more fun this game was. "I'll bet y'all anything, Cade is g'on chicken out first." He teased, looking on at Johnny who rolled his eyes. "Knock it off."

It was real warm and the tracks were hot too, I looked over at Johnny since he was right infront of me, noticing the grease on his bangs was glistening and he was squinting due to the sun. I'm not sure why I decided to join in because if you ask me this is a stupid game and if Darry ever found out he'd kick all our heads in. People at school were talking about it, debating who could stay the longest till the train got close and who was the biggest chicken they knew. It was a stupid, but fun game and we didn't know anyone who'd gotten seriously injured playing so I guess we all thought it was ok.

We did ask Dally if he wanted to play but he was too wise and cool for dumb kicks like this. But, he did tell us he wouldn't rat us out if we promised to try not to die.

"This is boring, ain't no train coming." Curly rolled his eyes, resting his head on the track like he didn't care.

"Don't do that you dumbass" The train could come any second and this fool was about ready to take a nap. Curly laughed and lifted his head back up, "I take it back Cade, lil lady over here will chicken out first."

"Yeah yeah, but at least I won't get my head blown to bits sleeping on the track."

We all chuckled, nervous laughter because really all of us except maybe Curly was scared. We felt a small wind, squinting and shutting our mouths so not to eat train track dust. Then, Curly Shepard made a stupid suggestion.

"We should play this standing on the track."

"No way, its more fun this way." Pony argued back with him.

"Naw, you're too scared to try the other way."

"If you're so brave why don't you give it a try, Shepard? I dare you."

Curly laughed, thought about it for a second and grinned. "Alright Curtis." He hopped up and we watched him stand in the middle of the track with his arms crossed.

"You're stupid." Johnny laughs, looking up at Curly who pretended to kick his nose. "Dares a dare." He shrugged, kicking forth a small rock. "I ain't scared."

We laughed at him, I thought he was crazy, even crazier than Dally maybe.

Ponyboy tapped his pale fingers on the track, anxiously waiting. Out of all of us, Johnny looked the most composed, but the thing about stupid games like this is that everyone is scared but the kicks is in scaring all your buddies and making them do stupid things with you.

"Dally should come next time." Johnny murmurs and Curly and I snickered.

"Naw, your boyfriend is too cool to play dumb games like this." I teased and Johnny shot me a look.

"He ain't my boyfriend."

We teased him good naturedly and he rolled his eyes. Johnny always took so much shit when he got teased.

"Guys guys!" Pony called, he heard the sound before we felt the wind and all saw the train coming up fast.

"Lil lady g'on chicken out first!" Curly sung and I pinched his ankle quickly, making Pony and Johnny giggle. The rain wasn't even close before Pony muttered a "Fuck this" and leapt up. We laughed at him, waiting till the train got close enough to swipe our noses off and take Curly whole. I almost chickened out next but Johnny and I leapt up at the same time when we heard Tim Shepard holler at us.

"What the hell y'all kids think you're doing?!"

"Shit!" We hopped up and ran off laughing. Ponyboy had already sprinted off cackling like he was half crazy. Curly was about to be a fool and stay till the train got real close eventhough he'd already won but Johnny ran back, snatched his wrist and tugged him off. Tim was chasing us down and we were screaming and giggling like he wasn't going to lecture us real good. He did, and while he did, us kids were panting and trying not to laugh at him. We already knew what we did was dumb anyway.

Tim said he wouldn't tell Darry if we promised we wouldn't pull this kind of shit again, so Curly suggested we play it with a pack of camels next time.

"You should have seen y'alls faces when Tim hollered at us." Pony snickered, and Johnny reminded him not to get cocky since he chickened out first.

"And I don't know what the hell you were thinking Curly, you already won anyway when me and Johnny got up." I laughed, shoving him playfully.

"You're lucky Johnny saved your ass." Pony nods.

"Who else is g'on do dumb stuff with us if Curly dies?" Johnny shrugs, grinning at Curly who put him in a headlock and messed up his bangs. They got into a playfight as we walked on home; laughing, brawling it out on the grass till their shirts stained green.

"See y'all tommorow." I waved to the boys when I got to my door and they went on home too.

"Hey! Bring cigarettes tommorow!" Pony calls.

"Sure thing."

Playing Chicken with cigarettes pt2?
Let me know what you think about the little hanging out with the boys kind of concepts. Also disclaimer in case you're a fool, don't blow your brains to bits & try playing this game.