End

Will paced the parking lot of the Lilac Gardens, hoping to muster the courage to walk through the gate. He refused to go on Saturday, and Sunday was his only other chance to talk to Erica about the misunderstanding. His mom, magically figuring out the girl's schedule (or just noticing the time and days Will stumbled out of the house smelling like he actually took a shower) dropped him off earlier, shoving him out of the car yelling, "Go get em' tiger!" and drove off whooping and playing "Eye of the Tiger" on full blast from the stereo.

Clearly, she was fed up with him moping around the house.

He walked back in forth along the dusty gravel, debating.

Just go in, one part of his mind encouraged.

No you idiot, said another. You're gonna fall on your face again or get some kind of hernia. Then she won't ever forgive you.

Don't miss you're chance! Better to give it a shot than not try at all! the first part beckoned.

Bah, ya loser, the second said.

Fortnight, said a third. And sleep.

What? thought Will. He shook his head, clearing his thoughts.

"I just need a sign," he said aloud. "A sign that tells me to go in and talk to her."

Will reckoned if the universe really wanted him to talk to Erica, then it would obviously work it's magic and have him go into the gardens. Yes, that was definitely how it worked.

Right one cue, he heard a voice call to him, "Excuse me, can you help me pull this wagon of plants in?"

Will cursed, and looked up at the sky.

Thanks universe.

...

Will walked steadily to the lilac stand, hope and dread filling his stomach. He hoped Erica wasn't there, but dreaded that fact that he would have to talk to her. He just wanted to avoid his problems.

And there she was, standing brightly and happily, chatting with the three same women who always worked with her. She laughed, like nothing was wrong in the world.

Welp, you're here now. Can't back out.

Will cleared his throat. "Erica."

She turned around, a happy grin on her face. However, bags adorned her eyes, like she hadn't slept. Immediately, her smile disappeared, like he had disappointed her. Which he did. It felt like a brick wall had come between them, uncomfortable, cold, and distant. It felt as if Erica was a fish on Will's fishing line, and she kept swimming farther and farther away from him.

"Can I talk to you? Privately?" Will asked nervously.

Erica sighed and looked down at her feet. A pang of guilt hit Will. "When I take my break," she answered. "It'll be a while."

"I'll wait!" Will blurted, face flaming. "I'll wait."

Erica blinked at him, like she didn't understand a word coming out of his mouth. Eventually, she nodded, slowly. "Ok."