The Naysaya

"I'm so sorry, dude! I totally put that curse on you to prevent you from asking out Star!" Tom said, still playing his video game.

"Tom, what the hell? Star's gay!" Said Marco.

"What?" Tom reeled.

"Yeah! She's been going out with Jana for like three months."

"Star's a lesbian?" Tom paused his game and stared at Marco, bewildered.

"Well, she calls it 'bi-curious'," said Marco. "If you ask me, it's more like 'bi-furious'."

"I can't believe I didn't know," Tom said breathily.

"Yeah. There's quite a lot of things you don't know about us," said Marco, trying to sound offhand.

"Oh yeah?" Tom asked.

"Marco Diaz would like Tom to ask Marco who he likes," piped up the Naysaya.

Marco blushed crimson and clamped a hand over the Natasha's tiny mouth.

"What?" Said Tom, half laughing.

"Nothing," Marco said quickly.

"Who do you like then, Marco?" Tom asked playfully.

"No one!" He said firmly.

The Naysaya bit Marco's finger to make him let go. Marco yelped, and the Naysaya said loudly,

"Marco Diaz used to fancy Jackie Lynne Thomas, but Marco gave up when she started dating Oscar Stcloud!"

Marco sat down next to Tom and put his head in his hands.

"Oh, Marco," Tom said softly. He was looking at Marco with such pity that Marco's blush only reddened from hot shame and... something more... something in the steady gaze Tom held on him... all three of his shining eyes bouring into him...

"Then Marco Diaz had feelings for Star Butterfly," continued the Naysaya unashamedly, "but Marco quickly realised that they were much better as friends. Marco realised that what he was feeling was just society stereotypes that insist on close male and female friends having a more than friendship!"

Marco, his face still covered by his hands, groaned and nodded dully.

"And now," the Naysaya said, "Marco is fine with Star and Jana's relationship, but he wishes that--"

Marco shoved his hood into the Naysaya's mouth.

"That's enough," he said, standing up to leave.

"Marco- don't go," Tom said suddenly, reaching out and grabbing Marco's arm.

His fingers brushed the exposed part of Marco's forearm.

Goosebumps erupted under his skin at the demon's touch.

"Tom, I-"

"Please," Tom said, looking sheepish. "I... I want you to stay."

"Marco wants to stay, too," the Naysaya said.

Marco face palmed.

"Hey," Tom said quietly. "Why won't you talk to me?"

"I-" Marco stuttered.

"Marco Diaz wants to talk to Tom, but, but he is too ashamed of his feelings!" Naysaya sang.

"Your... feelings?"

"No- I-"

"Marco has feelings for someone new, now!" Naysaya giggled.

A light flush crept up Tom's neck.

"...Marco?"

"Alright Naysaya. That's enough," Marco said, resigned. "I'll tell him."

Tom looked at him with wide eyes. Marco sat back down heavily. He didn't meet Tom's gaze.

"It started a few weeks ago. After the whole Mackie Hand incident, I was certain the only way we could communicate was through mutual dislike. But then... we started hanging out more."

"I... I'm sorry about that," Tom said quietly. "I'm not proud of it. It was a really difficult thing for me to do, and I'm glad we did hang out after it."

"Me too," said Marco quickly. "No- I get it. I get why you wouldn't like me."

"Wait, no-" Tom stuttered, looking horrified. "I did like you- I do - it's just... I felt threatened."

"It's okay," Marco said. "But there really wasn't anything to worry about. I always knew nothing could happen between me and Star."

"See, that's the thing," Tom said thoughtfully. "I used to be so jealous of you too, but now... it's not jealously I feel. It's... something else..."

"Something you can't put into words," Marco whispered before he could stop himself.

He looked up quickly and caught Tom's steady stare. His three eyes were glittering.

"It's warm, comfortable; like a memory," he breathed.

"But it's sharp in your mind, like white hot pin pricks of certainty that the only thing you could ever want..." Marco said, leaning closer to Tom.

"Is the thing right in front of your eyes," Tom smiled, leaning in too.

"After Mackie Hand, I started thinking about you more and more..." Marco breathed, his eyes somewhere around Tom's chin. They were so close that their foreheads were almost touching. "Ha, I even found myself daydreaming about you in an algebra class. And believe me- that's bad: I love algebra!"

Tom snorted.

"I think about you a lot too," he said cautiously. "You've become someone new in my mind. I don't think we got off to the best start."

"You can say that again," Marco laughed.

"But... maybe it doesn't have to be like this?" Tom asked, looking directly into Marco's eyes.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"What if... we had something more?" Tom said, deciding to plunge into the unknown. "What if we had something new? Something... just for us?"

"What, you mean something like this?" Marco asked.

And he leaned right in, and kissed Tom gently on the cheek.

He drew back. Tom's eyes were shining.

"Actually," he said, grinning, "I was thinking of something a little more like this."

And he grabbed Marco around the waist and pulled him into a passionate kiss. Marco puller away first and laughed aloud.

"Yeah. Okay!" He said.