Silence

I hear it every day, you know. "She's weird" "what's her problem?" "no one likes her" "she doesn't deserve to be here" and so on, I don't want to be silent, but I fear if I talk and put my trust in someone, I will break and tell them everything, the beatings I take for the other children, my starvation, being locked away for weeks at a time in the basement-where we get punished for the littlest of things, we either are chained up down there or we get locked in the old and broken freezer- I hate it, I never asked for this, but what I fear most is that I'll tell them why I am in the orphanage, why my family just disappeared from the face of the earth to never be heard from again.

"Miss!" I hear a voice shout and I look up from my desk to see the guest speaker-a cop of all people- looking at me "are you alright?" he asks and I just nod my head slowly looking away from him, sometimes I forget that I have a tick, my tick is my hands, they would flinch or twitch if I lied and I guess he noticed because had grabbed my hand and my arm to pull me out of my seat, he guided me out of the room and that was when I started pushing against him, trying to get away because I could see the other cops waiting for the one that's got me.

They come over to help the co-worker and one grabs me around the waist when I shriek in pain, to which he immediately let me go, and I fall limp into one of their arms, not unconscious but the pain was too unbearable and I knew if I even moved a muscle that it would be worse.

The cop that was holding me had moved into the back seat with one of his comrades with me in their laps, being very cautious since they didn't know how much pain I was in, they had moved me out of the school as quickly as they could without hurting me since students and teachers alike had become curious on what caused the scream of pain in the hallways.

When I awoke I never noticed I had fallen asleep, maybe it was the calming away the cop rubbed his hands through my hair as if begging me to doze off, I didn't get much sleep the night before as I had been locked in that goddamn freezer because I got a 99 on my science test. "she's awake" I heard a voice to my left and looked over, not to my surprise there was like 13 cops in the room and probably more outside the door "may I ask what happened?" the doc asked me with a calm smile and I roll on my side facing away from the doctor and curl into a ball.

"I was in her class telling them about safety and when it is the right time to call the police when I notice her not paying any attention, she seemed as if she was in pain, as if she had nothing to live for, I called to her for around 3 minutes before she looked at me and when I asked if she was alright she nodded but I have learned that you need to look for some sort thing to see if they are lying or not, or as it is called a 'tick', I had noticed her hands had flinched and knew straight away. So I calmly walked up to her and lightly but firmly grabbed her hand and arm and guided her out of the room, we only go so far but when she saw the other cops she started pulling away, the other came to help and one of them had grabbed her waist when she shrieked in pain and just went limp, so we brought her in" the guest speaker explained "well I've seen many things like this but" the doc stopped and one of the cops, the one that had gotten me in this position, walked up to the doctor and gestured for her to continue "I have seen many abused victims but none as bad as this patient" she explained and everyone turned to look at her but me with their jaws dropped "the tips of her fingers and the area where her nails are, are damaged. She has bruises all over her body but they don't look like they are just from fists or feet, it's almost as if they abuser had used things like a bat, a chair, glass, and well anything they could get their hands on" the doc told them and I curled in closer to myself.

"Is this true? Are you a victim?" a new cop said kneeling so he can be in front of my face and I stare blankly at him, not moving a muscle "we can't help, if you don't tell us" another said when a nurse came into the room with the orphanages owners who did not look happy "oh, my, is she alright?" the female of the couple asked the doctor, feigning worry "I would hate to have come up here for nothing" she continued and the male of the couple had walked over to me and fear crawled over me. As soon as he was in front of me, he reached out his hand to touch my hair and my eyes widened, thinking he would hurt me I had moved so fast you probably couldn't see me, I was out of that bed and behind one of the cops who was closest to me in less than a goddamn second and the male owner growled "Ella!! Get over here now!!" he was angry, we are not supposed to run away or the punishment will be worse "no! she will not go with you, because you and your wife are under arrest for suspected domestic abuse!" the cop who was kneeling was now putting cuffs on the man and another was doing the wife, when I felt arms wrap around me, when I look up I see the cop who guided me out of the room at school "you have the right to remain silent! Everything you say and do can and will be used against you!" he said not letting me go because of how much I was shaking.

When I calmed down a bit, I had gotten out of the officers arms and looked around the room, everyone watches me as I pick up a pen and paper and write something onto it. It had said what about the other children at the orphanage? They cannot be by themselves, they are just kids! And the doctor took the paper and gave it to a police officer "some higher ups will take care of it, but right now you are our priority, you need to lay down and rest, we cannot release you until you show improvement of your well-being" she explained walking out as someone walked in, someone who haunts my dreams when I get time to sleep.

"hey, sweetie pie!" he giggled and the cops immediately were on edge as I took a step away from him "don't be afraid, you messaged me to meet up with you and I was on my way to our meeting place when I heard you were at the hospital" he said crossing his arms and I look at all the officers "do you not want them to know what you're gonna say?" he rolled his eyes and I took a step forward.

I opened my mouth, took a deep breath and let it out, it was time, I knew I had to confront him one day but now that it is here I really want to just back out and hide away from this entire situation "come on hon, I do not have all day" he said feigning a yawn and slyly moving closer, I hate him, I hate what he did to my family, he is the reason they're gone, he was the one who suggested we go out for a midnight walk, he was the one who ordered the assassination, so why was I the one he had to spare? Why was I the one he had to love? Why was I the one? WHY?! "Ha! Speechless like usual, well I guess I'll leave" he shrugged and turned away "you" I whispered but he didn't not hear and kept walking so I stepped out from behind any of the cops "I HOPE I SEE SOMEONE LIKE YOU IN HELL!! YOU DON'T DESERVE THE LIFE YOU ARE LIVING!! THE RESPECT YOU GET!! SO HERE!! LET ME GET SOME SENSE INTO YOUR GODDAMN HEAD!!" I screamed and as he turned I backhanded him, hard enough for him to hit the floor and not get back up but actually look into my rage filled eyes, scum like him didn't deserve to live anyway, so why do they get to? When they have don't so much wrong "I want to kill you, I do. But that will never bring my family back" I said and step backwards as police from outside grab him and drag him away yelling and screaming for me to save him, help him but the only thing I could say was "burn in hell".