chapter 3: Insertion

"come on, come on get in. the breakfast buffet is in the lobby and it's almost time for it to finish."Kerry ushered Jared into the glass elevator. Adverts flicked by in the glass, swirling around in a vortex of light as they descended to the ground floor.

Veronica and Kerry dragged Jared out of the lift towards the dining room, their high heeled shoes echoed in the lobby as did others walking through the marble floored entrance.

"Ok, stop dragging me I'm coming already." jared said in a half groan half laugh, the girls lightened his mood but his head still felt as if it had been used as a baseball.

Grabbing a mug jared stuck it under a plain white enclave in the wall,"coffee" jared said lazily to the machine, lights flickered on and a hologram screen popped out of thin air, a list of different coffee's were displayed on its see through screen.

Tapping the one he wanted jared waited a seconded as the hot black liquid poured into his mug, glancing around the room he located the girls and headed over to sit with them, bypassing the extravagant buffet laid out on silver platers, just looking at the fancy exotic breakfast Jared's stomach flipped and threatened to evicted the liquid he had ingested in front of everyone there.

"so, what does stud do for a living? Or do you have all your time to spend taking girls out for a good time?" Veronica smiled as he sat and took a small sip of his coffee.

Jared looked at her soft pale skin as it sparkled from the glitter she had on the previous night. Her emerald eyes glistened in the orange light of the morning as the hotel's large entrance let in the natural light.

"i'm a programmer, I sort out virues that companies have, wire money that from one account to the next as is needed, and I research new programs and test drive the newest updated versions of software."Jared explained.

"i know what a programmer is, so do you enjoy it?" veronica rolled her eyes playfully.

"ah, yeah I guess it's better than nothing and the pay is good." Jared muttered, his cheeks tinged red in embarrassment from his comment.

"so, what do you two do when your not entertaining people such as myself?" Jared gave an attempt at turning the conversation away fro himself.

"well, Veronica is a med student and FDS university, and I am a Inserter." Kerry said smiling as she draped an arm over Veronica and dragged her to her as she spoke about her.

"an inserter really wow, that's an odd occupation I've never met anyone who is one or heard how you become one, and FDS that's impressive as well I mean you need to have almost perfect scores and enough money to pay the extortionately high tuition. Wow I have to admit I am surprised." Jared said, his voice a few pitches higher from genuine surprise.

"yeah most people are, they don't think that people who do this kind of work would even have another job or to actually be smart. But the pay is incredible and we get to meet lots of different people, we just have a good time doing it too." Veronica smiled at jared before flicking her gaze away shyly.

"yeah I remember you like to have a good time." Jared smiled at Veronica as her gaze briefly slipped back to him, jared's smile increased again as he remembered the scratch marks on his back and the images of the two girls wrapped around him in the room.

They sat and talked as the girls ate breakfast and revealed more of their personality than they had before, jared laughed and joked genuinely and was surprised more and more at how fun the girls were even when acting normally, his eyes kept lingering on Veronica's fiery green eyes and her long auburn locks that draped sweetly over her exposed shoulders and swayed lightly in the breeze tickling her beautiful snow white skin.

"heres, our numbers." Kerry said handing him two cards.

"i already have your numbers though" Jared laughed.

"no, these are our personnel numbers, give us a call if you ever want to just hang out." Veronica said as they turned and walked out into the busy street.

"damnit man dont be a fool" Jared shook his head and wandered out into the sunny day, the city buzzed with noise as cars beeped and hovered passed, the trams in the sky zipped from station to station.

Jared took a step into the crowd and felt himself become invisible, he was insignificant in the crowd that was made up of tjousands of people, they flowed through the streets like a river pouring in and out of streets and buildings, al rushing to get somewhere.

Jared walked through them towards a large building that had several stations on each side of it, tram rails latched onto it and connected it to another building.

"ah welcome Mr Nox. Your buy is awaiting insertion, if you would like to go to room forty seven." the woman at the desk said with a cosmetology enhanced smile, it almost shone with the amount of different beautiful smiles.

"thanks"

jared tucked his clothes in hurriedly and smoothed out the creases in his jacket as he walked into the room.

"Mr Nox, I have your purchase here, now lets get it uploaded." Dr. Joel Godsing gestured him in.

Jared looked at the chair and the large apparatus around the room, wires ran along each part of the machines and the computer screen hovered in the air with several programs open.

"ah your using the new Dsrul system,hows it working out?" jared asked, nerves hitting him like they had before the first time he had bought.

"sit down Mr Nox."

the door closed behind Jared with a crash and he was left in the small room with the noise of machines working away, the dim lighting gave his nerves more of a hold on his mind.