Chapter 4: Codename Part 2

"hey, look I appreciate what you've done but I don't want to know what's in the mind, I just want to go back to my life." Jared complained.

"you don't get a choice mate, we need what's in that head of yours and they wont stop till they get it back. Sucks to be you"

"that's a matter of opinion" Jared retorted.

"well that's my opinion."

"your opinions sucks then"

"Quit squabbling, Jared we need what's in your head, our team mate Warren risked his life to get it, and since you are aboard our ship and are currently heading to our base you really have no choice." Kell said bluntly, he scratched his chin absently.

"damn High society folk sure aren't grateful are they." Ajax joked.

"i didnt ask you for help, you gave it and I am grateful. I just dont want to get involved in any of this, it's just this type of thing that gets people killed." Jared muttered as he took an empty chair.

"wouldnt sit there if I were you" Ash said, she'd let her long hair down and it rested gently on her shoulders that were now exposed.

"and where do you suggest I sit the floor?" jared gritted his teeth.

"no need to get snippy I was just giving you advise hun." Ash rolled her eyes and swivelled back to the screen in font of her.

"i'm not snippy, I am mildly irratable."

"whats the differance" Ash laughed.

"theres a big difference." Jared breathed

"yeah, what?"

"spelling mostly, and a sense of humour. Besides I think I'm allowed to be mildly irritable in the current situation." Jared sulked.

A familiar pretty face popped up from the ladder leading down to the lower floors, she climbed up without noticing Jared. She wore a tight green tank top with black trousers that hand plenty of pockets, her belt was a glittery skull, keeping her appearance slightly girly.

"Kell, i've treated some of stark's and Hummer's wounds, how are you three?" Veronica said looking at the illuminated tablet she held in her hand tapping away with her pen.

"veronica?" Jared said in disbelief.

"hmm, Jared. Oh wow I didnt see you there. Oh, let me see your eye." she said.

"what are you doing here?" Jared asked as she rolled his head about while she examined his bleeding eye, the pain had dulled to a throb that made him want to vomit.

"working, you've been keeping things interesting I see" She said airily.

"depends on your view of Interesting, I thought you were a med student." Jared asked.

"I was." she responded keeping it short.

"Harriet, take him down to medical and patch him up, he's making me loose my apitite." Kell ordered.

"yes sir."

"Harriet? I thought your name was Veronica?"Jared said befuddled

"tahts just what I call myself when I escort people, i'm also called Siren." Harriet said as she took Jared's hand and led him to a lift door.

"i prefer Harriet." Jared spoke with a distracted tone.

"your head hurting?" Harriet asked.

"what would possibly give you that idea?" Jared said with a slight sharpness he hadnt intended.

"ok, ok no need to be snippy."

"i told him"

"not snippy." Jared growled.

The doors to the lift closed on the bridge floor and descended with a high pitched whiz.

"why didn't we take the ladder?"

" I don't fancy your chance's, your balance is off due to the loss of your eye and the shock will make you clumsy. Plus you don't look healthy."

"really? That's funny because I eat my greens and have healthy meals, I even had a gym member ship for a time." jared said with fake pride.

"oh, my mistake then your as healthy as a Ox, now sit." Harriet said in a professional tone.

"i like it when you take control like that." Jared joked.

"nice to see you still have a sense of humour."

"like I have a choice as I keep being told." Jared sighed.

"lean back, I'm going to clean your wound."

"oh, my wound. I like the sound of that, do you think it will give me a gruff appearance?" Jared said as he did as he was told.

"nope just a very beaten up appearance, and blind." Harriet laughed quietly.

"so, are you going to tell me how your involved in all of this or shall I guess?" Jared asked as she swabbed his eye with antiseptic cream and pulled grit and shards of metal from the gash down his face.

"why don't you guess, could be interesting, plus it will take your mind of the pain." Harriet said sweetly.

"it doesn't hurt that much now, just a dull pain now."

"oh, it will hurt in a minute. go on guess." she prodded him.

Jared took a moment to think, he gazed at the bright room around him, three light strips ran along the grated ceiling the machines were all clean and stowed away nneatly. Jared saw each cupboard and draw was labeled with each item held within, the floor was rubber with small holes in for any spilt liquids to drain away.

A small tray laid beside him with serveal operating tools displayed in neat lines, he eyes the scalpel on it before returning his gaze to Harriet.

"ok, I think, you are the leader of this rebel group and actually ordered them to save me so you could have another date with me, because you couldnt stop thinking about me. See I surprise myself sometimes." Jared laughed as did Harriet as she held a large metel laser pen to his face, she turned it on and Jared instantly stopped laughing as his face burnt, his skin sizzled as it knitted itself together in a thick scar.

"come on guess again." Harriet said soft;y to him.

"ok, ah, your childhood sweet heart returned after going missing for years and coaxed you into joining a rebellion. And you've been treating injured soldiers ever since. How was that?" Jared ground his teeth against the pain,and his fists tightened till they hurt.

Harriet finished patching his wound up and laid the laser pen down, she remained silent as she looked at him with sombre eyes.

"that's right." she said quietly turning away from him and rifled through a cupboard.