Chapter 3

Every beauty paled as Irene made an entrance into the grand hall at the Medleys' château in Deane, accompanied by her father, mother and grandmother. She dragged her violet silk moiré gown with its domed skirt, black lace trimmings, wide neckline and tight sleeves. All heads turned to admire her grace as she strolled across the hall, flaunting her golden ringlets and proud puff.

"I had a dream an angel promised me the first dance tonight," Adrian said, appearing behind her and almost making her jump.

She briskly turned to look at him, a hand gloved with black lace placed elegantly on her cleavage. His radiance gave her face a lunar shine.

A wide, nourishing smile creased Adrian's face and gleamed through his eyes, puckering their outer corners. He took her other hand in his, stepped closer and kissed it gently and leisurely, staring deeply into her big, greyish blue eyes.

She looked around in a bit of a panic. "I'm afeared your dream will have to wait until my father is in the gaming room," her gaze was fixated on his playful, dark eyes, a subtle smile curled her small rosy lips before she added, "he swore to kill you if he sees you speak to me."

"He can kill me after I'm done immortalizing your beauty." He held her hand up and made her twirl slowly to admire her beauty and elegance.

She let out a giggle that bubbled up from the bottom of her heart and pinched her throat. "And how do you intend to do that?"

"By finishing my masterpiece," he replied, he wrapped an arm around her waist, "I want the next generations to see what a beauty Adrian Blackford's beloved was."

She pushed him softly and released herself then turned around and giggled, her cheeks flushed. When she turned back, her smile faltered and she let out a swift shriek. The pretty face she looked forward to adoring was replaced by a goblin's—a rather short one. Her button nose slightly wrinkled. Adrian had run off and in his place stood a beastly man she'd never seen in her life before. He was almost half her height, his enormous hook nose featured two spacious caverns in which bats could hide and nest, and his eyes were shallow, shapeless and without a single hair surrounding them.

The goblin-looking man smiled, revealing a set of wooden teeth. Irene let out a swift shriek and fled the repulsive scene.

***

Arden was not used to attending balls without her squad—her best friend, Bessie, and little sister, Dorothy. She felt vulnerable, lonely and neglected. Who was to join her now in making jokes about all those powdered peacocks?

She had a certain appeal that attracted men to her like a magnet even when she was plainly dressed, but tonight, she was clad in a teal, floor-length medieval dress that was impossible not to notice. It had wide bell sleeves and was decorated with an embroidered trimming bordered with a golden rope and tiny golden beads. It accentuated her slender yet curvy figure, and the colour flattered her wheat complexion and dark hair and eyes. Half of her hair was plaited like a crown decorated with small violets and surrounding her head while the rest fell in free waves over her back and shoulders.

From a distance, Jeffrey Blackford noticed her and walked towards her. "I find it unusual that my best friend's intelligent daughter is left without company," he said as soon as he stood next to her.

"Because Dorothy is at Aunt Lilley's and your precious son had crushed my best friend's heart and driven her away." She smiled warmly so as not to offend this kind man.

He giggled heartily at her sulky response. "Since my precious son is involved, perhaps my sister Catherine can be of assistance?"

Arden smiled very widely and turned to look at Jeffrey. "Adrian would forever dread me if I went to his aunt," she evened out her frock, "I've missed you, Uncle Jeffrey; you always lift my spirits. Would you call on us after the ball?"