Chapter 45

"Foolish boy!" Arthur said, taking in what his sister has just told him with knit brows. "Why did he not seek my help? And why did he not at least tell Lydia? I presume they are good friends."

Catherine pinched a thin slice of lemon over her China teacup and watched the pale drops mix with the red tea before she took her first sip. "Stubborn as a mule," she said, as if stating a fact, "but his foolishness did him good for once."

Arthur furrowed a brow.

"He has been fending for himself for over two years now. Hardship and poverty must make a better man of him." She took another sip. "I had plans for him to work with Harris; he has been doing great shipping spices from the Indies."

"Adrian never got along with your eldest son."

"And do you think he is coping with that slug Edgar Medley or any of the filth he employs?" She challenged coolly. "I have spoken to my lawyer about the papers Adrian signed."

"Can he do something about it?"

"Only if we can provide evidence he signed them either while drunk or under the influence of a substance added to his drink without his knowledge. I know my nephew has many failings, and reckless drinking is not one of them."

***

Adrian and Arden sat in silence for longer than an hour, exchanging no more than a few random words every now and then. They brewed two kettles of tea and ate breakfast. He thought she looked beautiful despite that she donned a black dress and hat. She has bloomed. He wanted to ask her to leave, but he also wanted her to stay. He could not risk it a second time.

Arden shook her knee impatiently then suddenly stopped. She stared at him a while, but he would not look at her. "Two years, Adrian – two damn years!" She finally let the words pour out, "Had it never occurred to you to write or visit?"

"You left," he replied, toying with his mug.

"You told me to leave! You said good riddance!" Her tone a bit more excitable, "Did you imagine that I would kneel at your feet and beg? No, Adrian, I'm too proud to ask anyone to be with me when it is not his desire."

"How on Earth could I have known you were leaving too soon?" He grimaced as if something upset his nose, "You had already made up your mind and were—"

A knock on the door interrupted them. Adrian got up to see who it was.

"Good mornin', love," a woman squealed and gave Adrian a loud kiss on the cheek. She had a huge mass of wild blonde curls that needed a bath and covered her lips in a thick layer of rouge. She looked inside and saw Arden. "I see ye go' company." She smiled generously, revealing her orange stained teeth.

"Yes," he replied and looked at Arden.

"I can come back t'morrow, love," the woman said, her voice noisy, "no need to stop on ma behalf."

Arden's heart sank. She rose from her chair. "I was just leaving," she said, examining the strange woman. She thought she might have seen her before—probably when she worked at the teashop with Mrs. Macy? Or maybe in the market? Despite her unkemptness and vulgar manner, she was pretty. Bile rose in her throat at the thought of Adrian lying with this woman.

"No, stay," Adrian said, a hint of panic in his voice. He turned back to the woman and wore his most pitiable face which resemble that of an innocent, helpless puppy. "I'm a little occupied, Bonnie, I'm very sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise – but this is very important."

Bonnie smiled broadly and gave Arden the once-over. "Mornin', love," she said to her, "ye're tha' gal I sa' with a' the teashop afore a year or two. I never forge' a pre'y fayce. I hope ye, too, remember may."