Chapter 6

In the large parlour at the Longfeathers', the dowager received the two Medley ladies, Dora and her mother Cora. Lady Valrie sat on a sofa facing her guests, who shared one sofa. She looked as grand and majestic as ever in her black frock with its lace hem and flaunted a studded black fan. She held her nose very high and looked down with eyes almost half closed at the two guests.

They were all having tea and coconut macarons. Dora sat very tightly and straight as if she has swallowed a broomstick, smiling widely one would think her goal was to show off her remarkably big teeth. She was in an elaborate champagne silk frock and a big black broche that her eldest brother, Archibald, had bought on one of his business trips to India flattered her short neck.

"My Dowa was telling me last night how she llloved spending time with you and that she wished to one day be a gweat lady just like you," Cora said in her squeaky voice. She and her only daughter sported the same hairstyle. It was parted in the middle and featured an abundance of ringlets on both sides of the head. The rest was held back in a big bun.

The dowager nodded, smiling faintly—or was she?

"My Awchie, too, said he was keen to discuss doing some sowt of business with youw chawming gwandson, Jewemiah, when he's next in town," Cora added, but the dowager was still not showing much interest in the conversation.

A footman announced the arrival of Irene and Arden. Irene walked in, still in her peach dress which now had a few mud and grass stains. She curtsied and said her hellos and how are yous to everyone, followed by a reluctant Arden, who also curtsied and said her hellos first to Lady Longfeather and then to the Medleys, wondering why ever she agreed to leave her house today. Irene sat next to her granny and kissed her cheek.

"Irene, my dear," the granny said, "have your maid to help you into something clean."

"I'll change before supper, granny."

"You will change again when it is time for supper," she said in a strict tone.

Irene turned to look at Cora and Dora and said, "It is good to see you here today, ladies. Thank you very much for the enchanting ball; I had a good time." She then addressed Dora, "You look lovely in this frock. The colour makes your cheeks more radiant."

The corner of Dora's mouth twitched, so she took a brief break from grinning then replied, "You, too, look very lovely, my dear Irene. Where have you been?"

The small talk went on for a few more minutes. Feeling like a ghost, Arden made herself comfortable in the armchair next to the parrot's cage and began to play with the bird. She wondered how to excuse herself so soon without offending the old lady.

"Arden, my child," cried Lady Longfeather, "why do you sit so far from us? Thinking of a new plot with a parrot as your protagonist?"

Arden smiled, unable to decide if what she has just heard was an innocent joke or blunt mockery. She decided she wouldn't take offence nevertheless. "You have a charming parrot, ma'am," she said, leaving the bird be. Her family was not rich like the two families in this room, but they prided themselves on good breeding. She had to work in the farm with the few servants they had while none of the women in this room lifted a finger to do more than ring the servants bell.

"Come, sit beside me, my dear. Irene is fond of you and I need to find out why."

Arden wasn't flattered. She rose to sit near the old lady and on her way, she noticed her shoes were very dirty and hoped the granny wouldn't notice. She sat beside Irene on the edge of the sofa.

"In my days, unmarried women were not allowed to read novels, much less write them," Lady Longfeather said, addressing Cora.

Cora's breast swelled with pride as she replied, "Duwing ouw last visit to Venice, a young lady gave my Dowa a book claiming it was exhilawating, but when my Dowa figuwed it was a novel, she gave it back immediately and nevew spoke to that young lady again." She roared with laughter.