Chapter 23

Kathleen turned in bed and opened her eyes to an empty half. Her heart sank knowing she would never enjoy a similar night again—not because she could not, but because she wished to be a devoted wife and go back to her virtuous self. The illicitness of sins makes them all the more delectable and desirable. Though her throat swelled with bitterness, she was glad she experienced rebellion before closing her family's deal with the Medleys. She felt empowered and free.

"Did I wake you?" Adrian's deep and serene voice broke the chilling silence and made blood rush back to her cheeks.

She smiled and rose in bed to watch him stand by the window buttoning his linen shirt. The sky outside was a royal blue shade, making him look like a dark ghost from a peculiar yet delightful dream.

"What time is it?" She asked, her voice a bit raspy.

Adrian looked up from his shirt and his eyes met her bright face. She smiled softly. "Not sure, but their ladyships must still be sleeping like logs," he smiled and winked playfully, "my chance to sneak out."

She cleared her throat. "Make haste then."

"I want to see you again," he said, walking to her, his stare unfaltering. He sat on the bed and took in all the sweetness of her early morning face. His palms felt cold. He bent forward and kissed her lips gently.

"You're wasting time," she whispered.

"Goodbye for now." He got up.

***

"You fool!" Dorothy hissed as she barged into her sister's room and shut the door behind her, "You couldn't stop before you got yourself into a serious mess, could you?" A panicked expression overwhelmed her round face.

Arden rose from behind her desk. "What on Earth are you talking about?" She thought her sister was pulling one of her old pranks.

"You had to go after that filth of a reverend and prove he was behind Irene's death and now he is after you and you don't stand a chance against him!" She spoke very quickly, careful not to raise her voice, "Did you think I didn't care to find out what you were up to?"

Arden frowned and opened her mouth to speak but was too surprised to find any words. Her sister's face was very pale and her eyes too wide for someone pulling a trick. Her heart began to pound and it felt as if blood no longer reached her lips. For one, she wondered what more of her secrets her sister knew and, two, it frightened her that she couldn't imagine what Maverick has done. She looked at her reflection in the mirror behind her sister and saw that her lips have turned white.

"You must leave the house tonight!" Dorothy said, bringing Arden's attention back to her.

"I—" she hesitated, her voice weak, "I d-don't know... what you're talking about."

"I was eavesdropping on Aunt Ursula and Papa minutes ago," she whispered, her eyes still agitated, "Aunt Ursula said Maverick visited her in the early morning with Dr. Tremour and showed her some report stating that you suffer from chronic mania and need to be committed to some lunatic asylum before you harm anyone."

Arden furrowed a brow and snorted with laughter. "What nonsense!" She scoffed, her heart still trembling, "And you think father would believe that? You gave me a panic over nothing!"

Dorothy shoved her sister furiously.

"What is wrong with you?" Arden shoved her back.

"Keep it down and stop laughing," Dorothy said in a solemn tone, her voice close to a whisper. She clutched her sister's wrist. "Do you not realize the graveness of your situation? Papa already believes them and is very distressed by the news."