Chapter 21

"When the soul is led astray by bodily desires, it is the duty of a man of God to guide it back to the path of righteousness," Maverick lectured his hypnotized class.

"And who is a man of God?" Arden's voice echoed from the rear benches. Her motive was not in line with her reason for being at the chapel today. She dreaded every second and the harsh sound of his voice that scratched at her skull.

"A man of God, like myself, is the one assigned by the Lord the duty of purifying souls and saving them whatever it takes," the vicar replied, "we do our utmost to ensure that the youth live by the rules of God a humble Christian life and that they are not led astray by the lure of Satan."

Assigned by the Lord? A sly smirk curled her lips.

"I have vowed to help young women achieve inner peace and abandon hysterical ways," he continued, "and for this purpose, I have been traveling across Europe and shall never rest until I fulfill my duty with the Lord's guidance."

"How does one know one was assigned by the Lord—and not Satan—to fulfill a certain divine purpose?" asked Arden, "From what I have observed, anyone can claim to be a man of God; from Sir Albert Lester, who in fact owns a brothel in London, to Ron the common thief. How can one tell who is a true man of God and who is an imposter?"

"I wonder who you've been speaking to, Ms. Thunderton," Maverick frowned, his voice full of ridicule to mask his indignation, "if you cannot see the difference between the Lord's messengers and Satan's, then I must be gravely concerned for your soul."

The chapel roared with laughter.

"I mostly mix with my class, vicar," she replied boldly, "and my relationship with my Creator is not to be judged by you."

He ignored her and went on with his teaching. At the end of the lecture, he asked her to stay after her peers were gone, and so she did.

"I'm afraid you, Ms. Thunderton, are not the right fit for my classes," he said, reeking of insecurity and malice, "for a second I thought you could be redeemed, but it seems the devil has had a strong grip on your heart and I don't want your demonic influence in my class."

Arden stared into the reverend's shallow, frameless eyes without making a sound.

"Little girls who speak nonsense and have an opinion on everything, like yourself, Ms. Thunderton, are a hopeless case for me and useless for my cause... if they were of no harm," he added, drawing closer to where she sat.

His words fell like poison in her ears and she dreaded ever coming to the chapel. Her heart began to rap against her ribs and her throat swelled with a combination of resentment and anguish. She rose from her seat, made her way to the aisle and slowly began to walk when a strong hand seized her upper arm. She didn't turn but the stench of the reverend's breath filled her nostrils.

"You have no idea what I am capable of, young lady," he hissed, "if your pretty friend were alive, she would have told you." He released her arm in a shove.

Arden scuttled outside the chapel, still feeling his fierce grip on her arm.

***

"When have you developed a fascination with balls?" Adrian asked his cousin, Lydia, as the two entered the Medleys' château with its abundance of distasteful extravagant pieces of furniture.

"I have not, really," Lydia replied, "but I heard today Joshua's engagement to Kathleen Snow is to be announced—"

"So you've developed a fascination with romantic announcements?"