Is it over?

"Rey, I can't do this," Ben confessed, thinking about the consequences and responsibilities such an act could result. He also didn't know if Rey was under the pill to avoid any pregnancy. Not that he never wanted to have children but Ben was not prepared to assume the role of a father yet. They were about to have unprotected sex and Ben disliked wearing condoms. It was selfish on his part but enjoyed the freedom of not wearing one. 

Narrowing her eyes, Rey felt more confused than ever with his answer. "But I gave you my consent. I thought you wanted me!"

And he still does. He kept facing out the window, his jaw clenched. "We need more time. Maybe we're taking things too fast."

 "Is it because of what happened between you and Connix?" Rey finally asked able to get his attention. 

Ben turned around, the whole expression changed. His arousal was still noticeable in his tight jeans. "What do you mean?"

"Don't pretend you know anything, Ben. Just tell me the truth."

This then put him in a bad humor not knowing what the hell Rey was insinuating. She wrapped one of his bed sheets around her nude body. Rey still waited for an honest answer but instead, he looked annoyed. "What else you wish to know? That I break up with my ex and we ended in bad terms? That's all there is, Rey."

"Ben, please..." She pleaded. Why was he hiding things from her? What if that woman was right after all? 

Ben walked over to the bed and sit beside Rey, cupping her face with one hand. "Tell me, what did she say?"

Rey sighed shakily, "I found her outside my apartment... all bruised up."

He frowned and pursed his lips together. 

"My stepfather and I helped her that night. She was scared and didn't want to call the cops." 

"Hold on, wait, wait," he interrupted furrowing his forehead, "You think I did that to her?"

Rey lowered her head not answering. All she wanted was a simple confirmation. Ben quickly stood up and crossed his arms above his chest. "You do believe her."

"Just... Just tell me the truth!" Rey demanded impatiently. 

"The answer is NO, alright? I would never put a hand on a woman!" Ben confessed pacing back and forth in his room. Connix was not done with him at all. That he was very aware. 

"Then why is she doing this?" Rey asked with tears filling her eyes. "I don't think anyone could hurt themselves like that."

Ben walked over Rey again, kneeling down in front of the girl he was in love with. "Whether she did or not, I have never in my life acted violently. I'm not that type of guy."

There was a brief silence in the room. Ben thought Connix wanted to take Rey away from him and so far it was working out. She always knew about his interest in Rey since day one. Now, his former girlfriend wanted revenge and manipulating Rey was the easiest way. "Rey, don't do this to me, c'mon!"

Shaking her head, Rey stood up and wanted out of there. "Ben, I don't know what else to think. I'm so confused."

He grabbed her by the shoulders, joining his forehead with hers.

"Deep inside you trust me. Rey, my relationship with her is history now." His lips brushed against her forehead, then down her nose bridge and finally on her lips. They engaged in another heated kiss before Rey broke away. 

"I should go," she said walking out of the room. Ben didn't stop her, though. 

Fear consumed the artist thinking she was taking Connix's side. The painting was incomplete and the exhibition was on Friday. He returned to the studio and sit on the stool. He was now facing the painting, his painted angel. Rey stepped out of the spare room all dressed up. She saw Ben sitting on his work desk looking at the painting that would most likely never be finished.