Family ties

The police station was very crowded that evening. Some people were yelling at the cops behind the large counter while others, mostly females, weep trying to speak clearly. One case was about domestic violence with a woman severely bruised up. She was filing a restriction order against her husband and mainly for the safety of their children. 

Rey knew Ben was anything like that man. The brunette believed in Solo's innocence. This was planned to set Ben up. She arrived a couple of minutes ago willing to bail the artist. Luke was also there confused with the whole situation. He didn't liked seeing his adopted daughter to be so involved in this situation. This was now under investigation and feared Rey could be falling in love with an abuser. 

Both were sitting without saying a word. They observed people entering the station and leaving. Rey knew Luke was worried about her but thought it was normal. He was a great father and someone Rey admired. This was not the right place for Luke to be. She placed her hand on top of his trying to reassure him things weren't like he was thinking. 

"I just want to let you know that Ben didn't hurt Connix. Something tells me she is lying but it will be hard to prove it."

He then placed his other hand of top of hers, "I'm no cop or lawyer, Rey. That young man's fate is in the law's hands now."

"He is innocent until proven guilty," Rey replied with a sigh. "Maybe you don't see it that way but I know he didn't do it."

"The girl was pretty badly wounded, Rey. You saw it with your own eyes, same as I."

Rey removed her hand from his grasp and rose from the chair walking over a wall. She leaned her shoulder on it still facing her stepfather. "Could have been someone else. She wants to ruin Ben and his career."

"How can you be so sure?" Luke asked curiously. 

"Since day one, Connix has hated me with a certain passion." Rey didn't wanted to tell Luke about the painting job and decided not to keep further. "Anyways they're taking too long to call us."

"Hated you?" Luke asked confused. He rose from his chair and approached Rey who started to get nervous. "Hey, you need to start telling me the whole thing. Where did you meet this man? What is going on?"

Licking her dry lips, Rey needed to find answers. Luke would never forgive her for posing nude in front of a stranger. He was a very conservative man and overprotective towards her. 

"Rey.. I'm waiting." He said crossing her arms together. 

"W-Well, he's been working with me on a portrait. I met Connix at his studio and things turned sour from them on." 

"And why you never told me about a painting?" 

"Luke..

"Well, well, look who's here! Ben's new fling and partner in crime." Connix sarcastically announced while exiting a small office followed by Hux. "Don't tell me you still believe that asshole after what he did to me?"

Rey rolled her eyes and sighed. She was getting tired of this woman and her presence disturbed her too. "Luke, we should move elsewhere-"

When Rey tried to walked away with Luke, Connix blocked their way. "Mr. Skywalker, you saw how badly wounded I was the other day, right? No man is allowed to hurt a lady like this."

"Excuse me," Rey ordered Connix to let them walk away. Both women stared at each other with Connix giving Rey a cold deadly one. However, Rey was not afraid of her and stood her ground.

"Your daughter here is dating my former abusive boyfriend. She is Ben's accomplice, Mr. Skywalker."

The people in the station were all staring at them including the cops behind the counter. Hux was enjoying it though. Using Connix for Ben's downfall was the brightest idea ever. The poor idiotic woman had no suspicion that he didn't even cared about her. Looking at Rey he noticed she was attractive. Connix was no competition for this girl.

"You are obviously doing this because Ben preferred me in the end. He knew how calculating you were after all." Rey shot back bravely. 

Hux then decided to hop in. "Ben Solo has a bad reputation. He has been accused of plagiarizing years ago."

"Wait. Ben Solo? Did you just said Ben Solo?" Luke interrupted, wanting Hux to clarify what he just mentioned.

Hux affirmed with his head. A smirk slowly formed in the corners of his mouth. "He's an artist in this city but not what many tend to believe."

Rey noticed how Luke's expression changed to a serious one. "Are you alright?" 

"Ben Solo..." Luke said to himself, "That's the name..." 

"The name of whom?" Rey asked Luke.

Luke swallowed thickly, "The name of my nephew."

"Rey!" Ben's familiar voice caught her attention. 

Ben was being escorted by a cop and he was still handcuffed. Rey ran towards her new boyfriend and hugged him tightly. The cop then removed the handcuffs and Ben embraced her back too. "I bailed you," she told him before they could kiss. 

"I know," he said breaking the kiss and smiling at her. He then turned to look at the others. Connix was there with Armitage Hux. She was giving the couple cold glares. Then, he noticed somebody familiar was there too. Uncle Luke. His old mentor and friend.

"Enjoy your happiness," she spat, "Justice will serve right, Ben, and you still have charges weighting on you."

Hux knew it was time to go. Their plan was going great and Solo had his days counted. He would become the best painter in all San Francisco after getting rid of Ben. "We shall get going, Con. You need to rest, for now."

The two left the station, finally. Only Ben, Rey and Luke remained there. Now Ben had more suspicions on Connix especially as she was close to Hux; his rival. 

Luke approached the couple and extended his hand to Ben. They shook hands. "I don't what the hell is truly going on but you two need to keep me updated. How you two met and where?" 

Rey and Ben looked at each other. "Yes, uncle Luke. We need to talk and we'll do so."