Chapter 1: Work

When my alarm woke me up this morning, I had no idea I would get the job I so desperately needed, but despised to do. This wasnt my first day in the city. In fact I've been living here for over two weeks. Everyday I searched for a job. Every interview I went to they all said the same thing, "We'll call you." But did they? No.

I had made no friends and zero progress on paying my rent. "Allison," Joe said while leaning on my door frame. "You need to give me $350 before the end of the week or I'm going to have to kick you out." He was calm about it, partly because he wants me to sleep with him and in return he'll pay my rent.

"I know. I will have it. I promise." I held my breath while he looked me up and down.

"The offer is still on the table, baby." He reached out to touch my hair. I backed up and slowly started to shut the door.

"No thanks, Joe." He kept talking, but the door was shut and locked already.

I didn't know what I was going to do. The newspaper on the counter had multiple pen marks in it. I picked it up one more time to look through it. An ad caught my attention. I hadn't seen it before.

DANCERS WANTED
Girls under 30. Experienced. Night job.
793 Saints Avenue
900-934-1649

-Orange Flower Night Club

I didn't know if I should go. I didn't have and experience dancing, but I was 19 and I needed money. I sat there for a few minutes watching the clock thinking if it was a good idea. The clock hit 7:29 and I made me decision. I was going to go and lie.

▪▪▪

After my shower and a lot of shaving, I went to my suitcase to pick something out. I didn't unpack in fear of having to move again. Whilst rummaging through it a knock was at my door. I groaned and wrapped the towel tighter.

Looking through the peephole I saw Joe once again. I decided to just keep quiet and pray he goes away. I looked in the peephole once more and saw he was holding something in his hand.

Knocking again he looked down at it and smiled. It was a condom. Rolling my eyes, I walked back to my small room. My suitcase was tipped over with clothes everywhere, but I still couldn't find anything to wear.

I decided to wear my black lace bra (the only nice thing I have), my checkered skirt, and a sheer pink shirt. I looked trashy, but it's the only thing I had that might get me the job.

My makeup was limited. Only some eyeliner and red lipstick. I let my hair air dry while I was working on my face. It curled nicely, so I left it be.

Getting ready to leave, I grabbed my keys and my black combat boots, my only shoes. I walked out a few minutes after getting a quick snack.

Locking the door behind me and being careful not to run into Joe, I left the building.

I had written the address of the night club on my hand before leaving. I had no idea where this place was. Following the street signs, I finally found it ten minutes later.

It looked closed. The only think that was on was a bright orange Begonia. The neon sign was burning my eyes it was so bright. Not knowing where exactly to go, I walked to the back. I found a door that said, EMPLOYEES ONLY.

Before walking up to it, I took a deep breath and straightened my skirt.

"Who the fuck are you?" I jumped and turned around. A boy with a crate of beer looked at me with a judgemental stare.

"My name is A-Allison. I was looking for the manager." My voice was shaky.

The boy put down the box and wiped his hand on his shirt. "Alaska is in there." He said nodding to the door. He gave me one last glance before walking away to grab more beer.

Slowly, I walked in. It was extremely dark, but I managed to get out of the storage room and into the main one. There were little stages here and there with booths wrapping around it. There was a second floor with a small walkway and many red curtains covering rooms.

There was only one person in that room. I sheepishly walked over to the figure. She was about 6'2 with the longest hair I've ever seen. She had her back towards me.

"E-Excuse me," the woman turned and then I realized. This is a drag queen. And she was like a goddess compared to me. I caved into myself a little before speaking again. "My name is Allison." I extended my hand. She glanced at it, but look disgusted. I retracted my shaky arm. "Are you Alaska?"

"Yes I am." Her voice was incredibly strong.

"I'm here for the job."

"How old are you?"

"I just turned 19 last month." She nodded and rubbed her lips.

"What experience do you have, Allison?" I swallowed hard and smiled.

"Back home I did private parties for some extra cash." Was the first thing I could think of.

In response she held out her hand. I didn't know what she wanted. Placing my hand in hers, she slowly lifted it and spun me. Checking me over. "Well Allison, you are going to need training I can tell you that right now. Down here we don't fuck around. Go big or go home." She turned back around and began to polish glasses.

"When do you want me to start?" I said confidently. I didn't know if she was meaning I got the job, but at this point I was going to fight for any job that came my way. Even if that meant stripping for strangers.

I heard her laugh. "Tomorrow night. Be here tomorrow at 9 a.m." I had to conceal victory dance. "But you're going to stay here to watch my girls. Take notes. Maybe get you a new outfit." She turned around and looked me up and down once again. "Size 6, correct?"

I was shocked. "Yes. How did you-"

"Honey, I've been doing this a long time." She took me to a room in the back full of naked ladies. I quickly averted my eyes. The all looked at me like I was a rat. "Girls, this is Allison. Shes new. She needs training and new clothes. Any volunteers?" My face has never been this hot before in my life. Nobody spoke up. "Where the hell is Scarlet?"

The girls shrugged their shoulders and went back to what they were doing. So much was happening. Alaska rolled her eyes and looked down to me. "You are going to be training with Scarlet whenever she gets here. Good luck. See you tomorrow." Then she left me with the naked women.

"Hey new girl. Catch." I looked up and caught the material that was thrown at me. I held it up. It was a dark red velvet dress.

"Do you want me to put this on?" I asked. The girl laughed at me.

"Yes, stupid." I nodded.

I looked around at everyone. They just changed right there. I turned around and started taking my clothes off. "Is that all you got?" The same girl from before said. "Strip, girl!" Everyone started laughing. Someone turned on music for me. The girls started chanting at me. I didn't know what to do, so I did want the wanted.

Flipping my hair, I shook my hips and pulled my shirt off. Someone in the back whistled. Turning to the side, I touched my ankles and rubbed my hands up my legs. They all clapped for me. I pulled my skirt off and shook my butt to the music. They laughed and cheered for me.

The girl that gave me the dress walked over to me, still in the nude. "Not bad, new girl. I'm Piper. We're going to be good friends. I can tell."