Chapter 4

Sorry for the wait. I was on vacation for 2 weeks so I didn't have the time to update this story before now.

I love the response on the last chapter. It means a lot to me that you like this story, and I hope you like this update.

I do not own "Jurassic World" only my oc.

*cathrineoriginal*

***********

I don't know how long I stood there watching Rexy. She looked so skinny and she had lost that shine in her eyes. It made me feel bad for staying away this long. Rexy never let me out of her sight and followed my every move. She was afraid that I was going to leave again.

Dr. Richards walked me through Rexy's medical history, and it was really overwhelming. I learned that they caught her as early as 2002. She's been in their captivity for 11 years. I had to swallow a few more tears because of that. I could've seen her sooner...

"So, what's your plan?" I asked him.

"I don't know... I was kind of hoping that you would keep her steady enough for us to sedate her." Dr. Richards said, and I didn't like it at all. I didn't want to shoot her with arrows on my first day back.

"I know you need to do that eventually, but I have a feeling that she's like this because she's lonely. Why don't you give me a week or two... if she doesn't get better, then I'll make sure that she's sedated..." I offered. They looked a little conflicted, but eventually, they agreed on it.

Claire cleared her throat, trying to get my attention.

"I'm sorry to interfere, but I need to show you where you're going to stay." Claire told me, trying to not be insensitive. I didn't want to leave Rexy, but I needed a shower, and a change of clothes.

"Fine... Let's go." I agreed and went to pick up my jacket.

Rexy could sense that something was happening and started to get worked up. She threw herself against the window and let out a roar.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I'm coming back in the morning, I promise." I said, tapping the glass. It seemed to calm her down, but it was still hard, leaving her like this.

"If something happens, call me right away. I don't care what time it is, you pick up that phone, and you call me." I told the both of them.

I turned towards Ken and looked him dead in the eyes.

"You call me if something happens, or you just have a question." I told him, but it didn't seem as if he liked getting orders from me.

"All right." He said, but he did not look pleased. As if he didn't like that I was telling him what to do.

I looked back at Rexy one last time, and I made a promise that I would be there first thing in the morning. Rexy stood there looking at me, and it was hard to walk away.

Claire showed me to a car, but I was reluctant to get in. I couldn't seem to leave her again.

"Kate... there's nothing you can do for her right now. You've had a long day, and I need to get you to your place before it gets dark." Claire told me, and I knew she was right.

"Yeah. It's just... the last time I left her, I didn't come back for the next 20 years. I don't want that to happen again." I said, and Claire could see that this was hard for me.

***********

She waited patiently for me to get in the car, as I looked up at her paddock one last time. I could hear her moving around in there, as if she was trying to find a way out, and I like to think she was trying to get to me. I shook off the need to run back to her, and finally stepped into Claire's car. She gave me a reassuring smile before driving towards what I would call my new home.