Two Lives, One Heart

"Hey will you be able to pick up weed for me by Wednesday?" I was on the phone with Angie. Angie is my best friend and I'll do anything just to keep her safe. Recently, she's gotten into depression and she started to self-harm, I couldn't tell her anything because I use to self-harm as well but I stopped and started going to counseling. I've tried helping her stop a few times but she was never able to go a whole a week clean because of her mother. Her mom is the biggest reason why she started cutting because her mom would say things like 'I wish you were never born' or something like 'I hope you die one of these days when you're cutting yourself'. Anyways, the point is, she started getting into drugs more than she is with self-harming and at first I didn't see it as a bad thing so I agreed to hook her up with some.

"Yeah sure, how much do you want?" I asked.

"I don't know yet, just get me about $25 worth of weed. Can you get that?"

"Yeah, probably. Where do you want me to give it to you?"

"At school, in the morning." We both agreed to meet up in the back of the school and we hung up the phone.

Well this is my first drug deal. It can't be too difficult right? I mean, people pick up weed all the time. I did go to Jefferson high school so I'll just ask someone if they can hook it up for me. I asked the first person that I can think of, Jeremy West. He was that kid in the back of the class who always had eye drops in his pocket and came to every class, smelling like weed and brought edibles nearly every day. He was the biggest pothead in the school.

On Tuesday I was making my way to 4th period when I hear my name being called, "JADE." I turn around and Angie is running towards me. Her pink hair was messy as ever and she looked like she just ran to school.

"Well don't you look beautiful today," I laughed sarcastically and she glared at me causing me to chuckle again. "What's up?" I asked getting to the point.

"I brought you the money for the weed," she said while pulling out a wad of money from her purse. "Can you pick up a lot more than $25 please?"

"Yeah just as long as you have the money, I'll get you as much as you want." In my imagination, the most money she was going to give me was $50 maybe even $60. But that's not what she was thinking when she handed me some money and the first bill, was a $100. I looked up at her in awe. I opened the money and laid it all out in my palm. $300 was in my hand and that was when I had to question her. "Where did you get all this money from?"

"Well after we hung up, I went to the store when I saw some pills and they were really expensive, so I stole them and they got me really happy! So I went back and stole some more. That's when I decided to start selling them and people in Whittier are willing to pay for a lot just to get high and nearly each person bought about $30 worth of pills so yeah," she finished her story and I stayed there standing, speechless. I looked at her and she looked relieved with herself.

"Angie I don't think-" the bell rang and the halls were completely empty.

"Oh my gosh I can't be late again!" she started running again and she left me there in mid-sentence.

I was already late to class so I didn't bother running. I looked at the money once again and I that's when I knew that I wasn't just picking up for her; I was officially in the middle of a drug deal, so if something goes wrong; I'm in so much trouble. I made sure the money was safely kept in my pocket and I made my way to 4th period.

I opened the door and each pair of eyes was staring at me. I wanted to tell everyone to mind their own business but it was already rude enough that I interrupted the lesson but I doubt anyone was even paying attention.

"Miss Jade," I looked at the teacher and he was already writing a detention slip for me. Great that's totally what I need right now. I took the slip and walked to an empty seat in the back of my class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

picture of Jade on the side cx