Should Have Said No

The rest of the day went by fast. I was pulling my textbooks out of my locker when I saw my detention slip fall out. I picked it up and remembered that I had detention afterschool with Mr. Andrews. I put my textbooks back into my locker and started walking to Mr. Andrews’s class. When I opened the door, his classroom was filled with delinquents. I was officially terrified. I’ve served detention before but there was like two other people in the class. 

                “Take a seat Jade,” Mr. Andrews demanded and I did what I was told. I walked to the back of the room and chose a seat next to wall that was filled with carvings, gang names, and drawings.

                I checked my pocket once again, just to see if the money was still there. And it hit me. I need to Jeremy before he goes home. I couldn’t just walk out of here; can I? I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didn’t even notice the person standing next to me.

                “That’s my seat,” I looked up and it was him. Jeremy West.

                “Oh I’m so sorry,” I got my stuff and moved to the desk next him. Here’s my chance to ask him, he’ll probably say yes though. “Hey can I ask you for a favor?”

                “It depends. What do you want me to do?” he asked, never turning to look at me.

                “Well I was just wondering if you will be able to pick up for me.”

                “Whoa slow down there, Angel. Aren’t you Jade Anderson?” he finally looked at me with a smile.

                “Yeah but what does that have to do with anything though?” I didn’t understand why he was asking who I was. It’s a yes or no question.

                “I would love to pick up for you but you’re the school’s little Angel. Why are you in here for anyways?”

                “I was late for class and so that’s it? You’re not going to do it for me?”

                “Sorry baby girl but the last thing that I want is to get caught up. Besides I thought you didn’t do that kind of stuff,” he gave me a questioning look.

                “I don’t. I just thought that you would want $300 overnight… but I guess you’re just not up for that kind of money. I’ll just ask someone else. Thanks though,” I looked ahead but I felt his stare, still on me. I pulled out my phone and started texting.

                “You don’t have that kind of money.” He said after a while.

                “Oh yeah?” I challenged. I pulled out the money and placed it on his desk. I smiled and took back the money after a few seconds of Jeremy staring at it.

                “Alright deal. When do you want it?”

                “Tomorrow morning, wait for me at my locker,” I took a piece of paper out of my bag and wrote my locker number on it. “Here,” I handed him the paper. “I’ll pay you the money tomorrow because I have a feeling that you might lose it.”

                “Okay baby girl. Give me your number as well.”

                “What for?” I asked.

                “Just give me your number and stop asking questions,” he pulled out his phone and gave it to me.

                “Fine,” I pulled out my phone and handed it to him. I put my number in his phone and he put his number in my phone. We traded phones and the bell rang, dismissing us for the rest of day.