Do I regret it?

I tried to convince my mom to let me stay home for the day but she wouldn’t let me. I guess I had to face my problems and not just run away from them.

I arrived to school and there were cops, investigators, and news reporters everywhere. Students were trying their best to avoid being questioned by anyone but a few weren’t so lucky and got called out. I tried my best to not attract too much attention to myself but as soon as I stepped on campus, news reporters came rushing to me asking me questions about the case. Although there were a lot of voices talking all at once, I had managed to hear one voice that caught my attention.

“Is it true that you are the other partner in crime with the student Angie Montes?” I looked at the reporter in front of me. She was holding a microphone towards me, waiting for an answer.

I figured it would be best if I didn’t answer any questions and just try to get through the day without being noticed again. Last night I made sure that there was no evidence in my phone that the cops might hold against me if I lied to them.

I put my textbooks in my locker and went to 1st period when the bell rang. When I opened the door, there were about 4 cops talking to Mrs. Garcia. I felt bad for her because she had no idea about anything and she looked really nervous. I sat down in the back of the room and the bell rang. Mrs. Garcia walked behind her desk and allowed to cops to speak.

A tall man, about 37-40 years old, stepped up and started to talk, “Hello, I am detective Rodgers. I serve for the city’s police station and the swat team. As you all know, there has been some serious crime going on at this school and a few students have already been sent to hospital because it. If you haven’t heard about it; it is my duty to explain it to all the kids who might not know about this danger. There has been a serious drug exchange at Jefferson High and some students have been sent to the emergency room because that girl, I’m sure a few of you already know who it is, was selling clinical pills. Not only was she selling them on the streets, but as well as at school to your fellow peers. If any of you know something more about this case, please contact me or your teachers. Thank you and have a nice day.” He finished talking I couldn’t breathe I was so nervous to the point where I started shaking.

“Jade Anderson...”

I look up at Mrs. Garcia and she’s looking at me. I get up from my desk and walk towards her. The minute I reached her desk, Detective Rodgers puts handcuffs on me and escorts me out of the classroom. I am so busted!

Breathe, Jade, breathe. I thought to myself. Okay now I really need to get my story straight here.

Detective Rodgers leads me to the principal’s office and takes off my handcuffs. “Sit down right there,” he points to a chair next to the door. As I look around, the assistant principle and about six cops are in this little room.

“So as you heard right now, from Detective Rodgers, that your friend, Angie Montes, was selling those drugs. Now we called a few people in for questioning, and many of them mentioned your name, saying that you had played a big part in this,” Dr. Collins, the assistant principle, started speaking. “Why is that?” she asked, even though I knew that many people probably told her why, she’s just try to see if I’ll confess.

Don’t look or sound scared of them. I thought. “Yeah I did play a big part of that. But that doesn’t mean I actually did it though,” as soon as I started talking, a few police officers started writing notes down.

“Why do you say that?” one of the officers asked. His name tag said Cervantes so I’m going to guess that is his last name.

“Well did they tell you how much money Angie gave me?” I was testing the officers. They would most likely tell me that they didn’t know how much money it was. But if one of them did; then I just found the weakest one out of all them, because they aren’t allowed to tell me anything they were supposed to ask me questions, not answer them.