Chapter 34

''Can you help me with this, Isabella?'' The dark-haired boy showed his homework to Isabella.

The appearance of a shy Angelo had Isabella lowering the phone against her ear. She smiled gently whilst patting the free spot on the bench, letting him know that he could join her.

''I have to go. I'll call you later, Luci,'' Isabella said into the phone.

''If you don't want to talk to me, you can just say so,'' Luciana responded back.

Isabella giggled, rolling her eyes. ''You're being overly dramatic.''

Angela scooted closer when he determined he was hearing Luciana. ''Hey, Luciana!''

''Angelo! How is my favourite nephew doing?'' Luciana said.

Instantly, Angelo turned his head to the side so Isabella wouldn't see him blush. Much like Isabella, Angelo wasn't good at taking compliments from others. He would always hide his face. In the past, he would even use a cushion to hide a blush whenever his parents praised him for his good marks.

''I'm going to do my homework with Isabella now,'' Angelo spoke into the phone that Isabella held to his ear. ''Bye, bye!''

Isabella ended the call and put the phone aside while Angelo opened the textbook. During the light studying, Caterina spotted them and joined but only to be a silent observer.

''Done!'' Angelo stretched his arms and legs. ''Thank you for helping me,'' he said, giving Isabella a sheepish smile.

''Any time.'' Isabella showed him a wide smile.

''I want to eat something.'' Caterina pouted and rubbed her hands over her stomach.

''I'll make you something.'' Isabella tapped the tip of Caterina's nose. ''What about you, Angelo? Are you hungry?'' she asked and got a nodding of the head in response.

As soon as she entered the kitchen, her hair was put in a tight ponytail, an apron was thrown over her clothes and she began making lunch for the kids. The humming of her voice sounded throughout the space until the ringing of her phone came to interrupt. She looked at the bright screen, surprised to read no caller ID on it as she rarely gave her number to others. Isabella accepted the call, pressed it against her ear and waited for the caller to speak first.

''I miss you,'' a male voice said.

Her eyebrows immediately scrunched up, confusion taking over. She decided to keep quiet for a little longer.

''Everything would be perfect if you'd be with me.'' The man sighed.

Isabella recognized his voice but couldn't put her finger on who it was. When he laughed, the hairs along her neck stood up in alert.

''Got nothing to say to me? You have nothing to be afraid of, Isabella. I would never hurt you.''

The spilled words sent chills down her spine. Nothing about it came across as genuine.

''Who are you?'' she asked despite knowing how futile it was to do so.

''I've been admiring your beauty.''

Isabella quickly held her hand against her mouth to prevent the audible intake of a sharp breath. She now knew who the man on the phone was.

''What do you want from me?'' she forced her voice into a steady tone.

''Isn't it obvious?'' He let out a breathy chuckle. ''You're already mine but I want you to be mine and mine alone.''

Isabella didn't say another word and waited for him to add anything else to it but he didn't. Both stayed silent, waiting for the other to speak. Once she knew he wasn't going to say anything else, she hung up on him and continued busying herself with cooking.