Chapter 26

Two pieces of the bullet managed to pierce Michele's leg. Getting up was a struggle, a groan coming out of him. He needed the help of his captain.

Giovanni supported his full weight, holding him by the middle as Michele swung his arm around his neck. Eventually, they made their way to the car, a dotted line of crimson following them. Giovanni opened the back and let Michele get in.

''What about Tommaso?'' Michele murmured.

''I'll have the police figure that out.'' Giovanni went around the car and got in the driver seat. ''And don't talk. Save your energy.'' He regarded Michele through the rear-view mirror.

He looks like he's going to faint.

Giovanni drove to Dr Leonetti at full speed. It was a good thing she didn't live all that far from their current location.

Dr Leonetti had her own private practice and often offered her services to men like Michele. Needless to say, those medical services came with a hefty pay. In the underworld, Dr Leonetti was the closest thing to a saviour they had. Numerous lives had been saved by her in the past.

''I'm sorry, Capo. He got away.''

(Captain)

''I told you to stop speaking,'' he ordered in a severe tone.

''Sorry, Capo.''

They arrived at the doctor's house and once again Giovanni let Michele's weight rest on him as they walked to the door. He pressed the bell and waited.

''Capo?''

Giovanni sighed seeing that his order went in one ear and out the other. ''Sì?''

''I think I'm losing blood.''

''You don't say.''

The wood separating the men and the doctor got removed. A wave of relief flowed through them to see that Dr Leonetti was home. She looked the same as always; her black hair in a neat bun, gaunt cheeks and spectacles sitting on the bridge of her nose.

''It's been a while since I got a visit from anyone in your family, Giovanni.'' Hazel-coloured eyes shifted to Michele. ''And what have we got here. What happened to your leg?''

''Bullet bounced off the ground and hit him,'' Giovanni answered for Michele.

No further questions were asked by her. Why were you shot in the first place? Who shot you? When and where did this happen? She knew not to ask.

''I have anaemia, Ma'am. I'm tired.''

''We'll get you fixed up.'' Dr Leonetti gestured Giovanni to leave Michele in her hands. ''There's a kettle on the stove, I hope you don't mind turning it off for me, Giovanni.''

Giovanni merely nodded and headed to the doctor's kitchen while she took care of Michele. The fire got turned off. Now that the kettle wasn't screaming and causing a throbbing headache, Giovanni went to the living room. The floor was carpeted, renaissance paintings decorated the walls and medical magazines were spread across the salon table. Giovanni rested his elbow on the window sill and smoked a cigarette which was balanced horizontally between his index and middle finger.

His whole body felt tense. A strain on every muscle in his being.

Frustrated that Tommaso got hit. Enraged that the man got away. Defeated that everything was going wrong.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

After Dr Leonetti was done with Michele, Giovanni brought him home and ordered the soldier to take a rest from work and heal. Then, the capo proceeded to the De Rege mansion.