I

Izuku Midoriya's life didn't begin when he was born (I mean, technically, it did, but that's not what I'm trying to say). Izuku's life began when he first laid eyes upon his mother, Inko Midoriya. Izuku's mother was the light of his life as well as the light of many others, including his father, Hisashi Midoriya. Together, the three of them were happy. Key word: were.

They had lived in a small, nice house ever since Izuku's birth. The family had quickly become friends with their neighbors, the Bakugous. They even had a son Izuku's age named Katsuki. Over the years, the two of them had become near inseparable, even opting to spend the nights in each other's rooms over the weekends. In the end, the Bakugou and Midoriya families had converged into one another. Katsuki Bakugou's parents were known to Izuku as Auntie and Uncle, just as Izuku's parents were known to Bakugou as such.

However, all of Izuku's happiness begins to dwindle. When he was only four, his father left without a reason as to why. He had attempted to leave in the middle of the night with only his wife's knowledge, but Izuku had awoken to use the restroom and witnessed his father's departure. His mother was sobbing, albeit quietly, to ensure that Izuku would not wake. That wasn't even the worst part; all while she cried, not once did her weak smile falter, and not once did Hisashi Midoriya turn around.

No matter how many times Izuku had asked, never once did his mother explain his father's reasoning for leaving. Afterwards, she had always made sure she was busy, whether it be with all of the jobs she was juggling or the housework. When Izuku thought it was too much, he had tried to help her. He attempted to clean out Hisashi's study, after all, he was the reason she was upset in the first place. However, just as Izuku had begun throwing out all of Hisashi's old books and journals, his mother had realized what he was doing. She immediately recollected her husband's things and placed them back onto the shelves, scolding Izuku as she did so. But after she heard his reasoning, she reconciled.

When Izuku had turned five, he noticed something different about the people around him. The kids his age always made him feel inferior, and their parents always tended to avoid him. Not that it was that surprising, after all, he hadn't manifested a quirk yet. At first, Izuku didn't think that it had mattered. Lots of children didn't have their quirks the day after they turned four (unless you're Kacchan), but lots of children also had their quirks before they were five. Caught up in her work, Izuku's mother didn't seem to notice until he himself had brought it up.

"What quirk do I have?" she relayed his question. "Well, I can attract small objects," she said, demonstrating. Flicking her wrist, a small All Might doll floated into her hands from the couch.

Izuku nodded to himself. "What quirk did Hisashi have?"

His mother swatted his head. "Don't call your father that." After a moment of thought, she answered. "He had a quirk called Alchemy, I think. I don't know much about it, other than he can't make something from nothing."

"That wasn't much help," Izuku muttered as his mother turned on the vacuum.

"What was that?" she asked innocently from the next room.

"Thank you," he squeaked in reply.

The next week, they had decided it best to see a doctor. Within 15 minutes of the appointment, the news had been broken.

"You should probably give it up."

Izuku's eyes blew wide and his All Might doll slipped out of his hands. His mother firmly rested her hand upon his shoulder, squeezing it in reassurance.

"Excuse me," the doctor (Dr. Tucker) broke the silence, "but you're a fourth generation, right, ma'am?" he asked. She nodded and he continued, "Normally, by the age of four, your son would have manifested a quirk: your's or his father's."