XI

Overhead, the bell chimes lightly, announcing Izuku's presence to the entirety of the cafe. Not once does the low buzz of chatter stop, but that doesn't keep Izuku from feeling as if he's being watched, judged, or measured up. This time, as he walks inside, Den leads the way, pulling Izuku along with her taut leash. He is also, for the first time, alone; Tsukauchi allowed him to take the subway and make his visit on his own- well, with the exception of Den.

He can hear the soft clunk of his foot against the floor with every other step he takes toward the counter. Again, like last week, there is next to no line in front of the counter -- only two or three people. With a sigh, Izuku takes his spot in line and waits for each person to be helped and waited on. Soon, the few people in front of him leave with their beverages, and he steps up to the counter. Unlike last week, however, the red-haired man isn't the one looking to wait on him; in his place is a shorter, blonde woman.

This stumbling block sends Izuku into a momentary state of panic, and he freezes. What does he do now? Of course, he knows that the red-haired man isn't actually essential to having the form turned in. However, it would've been nice knowing that someone might have been on his side.

"Come on, kid," the woman groans, sending him a warning glare through the lenses of her round glasses, "we haven't got all day."

Izuku quickly stutters an apology, silently noting her also having an abundance in accent. Fidgeting further with his hands, he begins to say, "Er- ma'am, would you mind if I spoke to one of your coworkers?"

She simply raises an eyebrow, skeptical. "And what does this coworker of mine look like?"

Izuku can't keep himself from flustering and mumbling another small apology before answering her pointed question. "He's tall, has red hair and a small goatee, if I'm remembering correctly," he replies. "Oh," he says suddenly, remembering something more, "he also wears a bandanna around his wrist. Is that enough information?"

The woman nods, letting out a breath. "Yeah, you're talking about Neil. I'll go get him for you; Be right back." With that, she disappears behind the double-door, allowing them to swing wildly before finally deciding to remain shut. As soon as they do, however, they are immediately thrown back open by the red-haired man -- Neil.

In the short time that has passed since the last they'd seen each other, nothing about the man has changed -- well, one thing has. Izuku can't help but laugh a little, "So what's up with your bandanna?"

Neil laughs as well and steps out from behind the counter, sliding into a small, two-person booth. "Well," he says as Izuku seats himself across from Neil, "I guess I took your compliment to heart and decided that I wanted to show it off." Instead of wearing the black bandanna around his wrist as he normally does, Neil now wears it around his forehead.

Izuku only chuckles.

"So, Midoriya," Neil says with a smile, "did you bring your form?"

Izuku's smile falters but remains, being slightly smaller. "Yeah," he replies, handing it to Neil, "but I don't really know what I'm expecting."

Neil's brow furrows slightly, and his warm smile disappears, a concerned face in its wake. "What do you mean by that?"

"I'm thirteen," Izuku can't stop himself from letting out a snort. "I applied here on a whim knowing full well that Antiquity doesn't accept applications from anyone, let alone interview people." He lets out a bitter chuckle, "I guess I just let myself get wound up enough to actually think that this would be a good idea, you know? I need a job, more than anyone could possibly imagine, and the first thing I do is apply here, a place that's notorious for rejection." Izuku sighs, allowing his face to fall into his hands. "I'm just a kid with issues."