The New Kid - part 2

-Two years later-

Slade walked over to the bus station, waiting for the kid he was supposed to meet. He had been told there was a kid who's mana levels seemed to be through the roof, and Slade wanted to meet him.

Soon the bus pulled up and a crowed of loud kids got off. As they lugged their bags out with them, excitement and conversation filled the air. Slade hopped up on the bench, trying to get a better view. None of the children looked like the boy in the profile picture. He cupped his hands around him mouth and took a deep breath.

"AUSTIN?" he shouted. "AUSTIN WOODS?" A young figure walked up to him, a small backpack slung over one shoulder. Blue eyes shone from under a sweatshirt hood pulled down low, blocking his face. He looked a bit younger than the other students, but it was hard to tell without getting a better look.

"Yes...sir?" the boy asked timidly. Slade smiled, hopping down of the bench and kneeling down to look the boy in the eyes. He placed a hand gently on the student's shoulder.

"No need for that. I'm Slade!" he straightened up. "I was told to give you a..." he hesitated. "Special tour." His smiled flickered, sadness in his eyes. But it was only for a second, so quick that Austin thought he had imagined it. Slade's eyes were bright once again, the friendly smile back on his face.

"Come on, let's go." Slade led the boy down the sidewalk. He showed him every place he needed to know; the dorms, the café, the pools, the auditorium, the library, etc. He slowed when he got to the arena. Again a flicker of sadness, then his normal smile. He explained what it was to the boy following him.

Slade noticed three older children sitting on a bench, two girls and a boy. The girl in the middle had rainbow clothes and a matching flower crown. She had her head in her hands, she was crying. The girl on the right was rubbing the other's back, obviously trying to calm her. She was wearing brown and tan clothes with a matching flower crown. The boy on the left, who was wearing a red and black checkered shirt and black pants, was simply staring into space with a sad look. Slade told Austin to stay where he was. Then he walked over to the kids.

"Matt, Tori, Lexi. Will you all be okay? I know last year was hard, I'm happy that you came back. But will you be able to last through the year?" asked Slade. Matt, not moving his gaze into space, answered almost instantly.

"Will we be okay?" He laughed. "No. No, we will not. I don't know if I'm gonna stay. I'm only here 'cause they are." He finally lifted his head to look his teacher in the eyes. "I know for a fact that they feel the same." He gestured to the girls. Slade nodded. There was a uncomfortable silence. Then Slade got an idea.

"You three have more experience with strange and possibly dangerous powers than anyone else in this school. Could I ask you all a favor?" Tori, who had finally stopped crying and lifted her head to look at Slade, and nodded. Slade sighed and turned his head to glance at Austin, who was taking in the view of the arena. Then he turned back to the others.

"That boy over there. He has a unknown reading and insanely high mana levels. We think it might be a new power, which would be shocking. The program hasn't made a mistake in a long, long time. I want you to help him, be his friend. I think it would make Ryan proud if you did..." Slade reasoned. As the older students discussed the situation, he turned to watch Austin, who was leaning against one of the trees surrounding the arena, staring in awe at the gardens. Well, with a sweatshirt hood in his face, it at least looked like he was in awe.

"Sure. We'll help." They finally said. Slade called Austin over to them. Th boy came over, a bit shy. His blue eyes gazed down as he crossed his arms behind his back and dragged his foot through the dirt.

"Austin, this is Matt, Tori, and Lexi. They're going to... help you out for a while until we find out what your-" he cut himself off before saying something he would regret. "Never mind. Why don't you three get to know him. I must be going. Remember Austin: orientation in the auditorium at two pm tomorrow. Bye!" And with that he walked towards the deans office.

Tori sat back and covered her face with her hands, whispering to herself. "I really hope this would please you, Ryan."