NINETEEN.

June 24th, 2016

"Jennifer-Anne, where the hell are you?" Jamie screams down the line. "How could you just run and leave? You've been gone for ten days; you're worrying us sick. You need to come home soon."

"I know, I know..." I bite my nails, lying on my bed in the hotel. Most of my money is gone at this point, and I really have no choice but to go back. The only problem is how I will get back, because I know I've probably blown a thousand or more dollars on the car in the impound. I'm kind of stuck at this point, and even if I know I should really be wrapping up my shenanigans. I guess I just didn't really think everything through. I'm broke and very far from home. And though I've managed to see Bret on more than one occasion, I've found myself falling deeper into everything. He didn't quite explain everything clearly, either with the notion that I already knew most of the things he was referencing (I mean, if you did start talking to an old friend, there would not be much you'd have to explain from scratch), or he was just too reluctant to reveal whatever it is that was bothering him.

I just feel like I need to see him one last time, just to force the truth out of him. I need to do it before the doubt grows too big and before he can suss me out. I'm sure he already has his suspicions, and this was evident yesterday, when it became obvious that there were some key things that I didn't know, that I should have. It made things a bit more transparent, and I could just see the hesitation clouding over in Bret's eyes. The foundations are going to give way at any point now. Time is running out, and I'll soon just have to go home and face my own reality.

"Are you going to tell me where you are?" Jamie interrogates me.

"I'm in Presley."

"Presley? Are we talking about the same city, here? The one halfway across the damn country?"

"Yup."

"What are you doing there, Anne? What's wrong with you?"

I sigh, running my hands through my hair. Listening to my sister's voice makes me miss her, and it makes me realise how much of an idiot I really am. I went to such extreme lengths to try and live out a life that was never mine, but I thought it was the right thing to do. Jennifer One didn't choose to die, and Jennifer Two didn't choose to be born. You can't blame me for what I do from that point onwards; my parents imposed it on me.

"I can't tell you what I'm doing. But I just need money to get back home, now. My car got towed in Wattson. I could get the train or a plane or something but I need money for it."

"Are you asking me for money?" She scoffs.

"Well, not explicitly. But I need it. That's the only way I can get home," I talk quietly and sheepishly, knowing that I'm pushing any luck I may have had. Running away from home for over a week and then asking for money to get back is a little bit of a bold move.

"Anne, you need to listen to me. I need to know exactly what you've gone and done. You've stolen a considerable amount of money from Mom and Dad and they deserve to know why. There's been a few times where they've been very close to calling the police to track you down. Any phone call you have with Mom is just a bunch of one-word answers that don't really say anything. Do you know that 'I'm fine, don't worry' is not an acceptable answer at this point?"

"I know!" I yell. "I know it's not!"

"So then tell me what you're doing!"

"Nothing!"

"Is it a boy? Did you run away for a boy?"

"Oh, God no."

"Then what is it, Anne! Tell me!"