A Simple Misunderstanding

“Have you talked to him about it?” Shaye asked me over lunch later. I shook my head concentrating on my burger. “He’s been texting me today. I haven't responded though.”

Shaye sighed looking pensive. “I think you should talk to him about it. I mean didn't he ask you to officially date? And I don't know what your definition is, but a one night stand doesn't last a whole weekend.”

I looked at her irritably. “Sure,” I said sarcastically, “I'll just go up to him and be like hheeeyyy I know you didn't make me any promises, but were you just trying to hit it and quit it? Besides who's to say what he thinks dating is.”

She looked off to the side and groaned defeated. “Alright I guess you have a point.” She looked back at me and said, “So what are you going to do?”

I looked down as my phone vibrated and saw it was from Kale. It was the sixth one today.

I'm not sure what's going on or why you’re not responding. I hope it wasn't anything that I did.

I put my phone face down on the table and looked at Shaye. “Just keep it business. It shouldn't be hard to avoid him after all. Being the CEO should keep him plenty busy.”

I saw I had spoken too soon when a knock came at my door as I was shutting down my computer for the day. I looked up as Kale came in and closed the door behind him. He leaned against the door as we stared at each other for a few minutes. I bit my lip as I replayed the weekend in my mind. Not just the sex, although that was fantastic, but how we'd watched movies and cooked together. The conversations we'd had and the laughter that was shared. It hurt to think that I'd come so close to falling for him and the whole time it was just …. sex.

I smiled at him brightly determined to keep my real feelings hidden. I didn't want to be more of a fool than I already was. “Hello Kale. How are you?”

He watched me closely, eyes narrowed. “I would be better, Mia, if I had heard from you today. Is everything alright?”

I collected my purse from my bottom drawer and got out my keys. “Oh yes everything is fine. I was just super busy today and then Shaye ambushed me for lunch. Then I had some meetings today. It's just been non-stop.”  I wanted to get out of this enclosed space but feared I would grab onto him if I moved any closer.

“Ok,” he said slowly, “how about I pick up some dinner and meet you at your place?”

“Oh no, that won't be necessary,” I said hastily. “I have plans with Shaye that we made a while ago.”  I had to get out of this conversation. This was awkward and all I wanted was his arms around me again. I started moving towards the door determined to leave. He watched me head towards him, standing straight and making no move to let me leave. He leaned close to kiss me and I turned so it landed on my cheek.

His jaw clenched. “Are you sure there's nothing wrong?”

I sighed unable to keep this going. “Look Kale, I'm sorry I just need some time to take this all in. I need to think about this,” I peered up at him miserably and reached around for the door knob. “I'll call you ok?” He nodded and slowly moved out the way. I opened the door and saw Ly’Lah there with her hand raised to knock.

“Oh!” She lowered her hand, startled. “I was just going to leave you these policy revisions I finished.”  I looked at the stack of papers in her hand and nodded. “Just leave them on my desk. I'll look over them in the morning.” Brushing past her, I hurried for the elevator. Listening to them speak in selk, I stared ahead as the elevator closed. I hadn't lied. I did have a date tonight, only it was with my favorite fuzzy robe and a pint of cookie dough ice cream.

Kale

I watched my Ke’Ola leave, baffled by this turn of events. When we parted ways Sunday night it was on good terms. I left her with a blush in her cheeks and a smile on her face looking forward to today when I could see her again.

“Lakai,” Ly’lah, a Selkrian from my hale I'd known a long time, stopped next to me and bowed her head. I had chosen her to help with the human relations department of Totality and with the Hale. She was a no-nonsense maiden with a good head on her shoulders and a good grasp of human culture as she had been one of the first with me here on the planet. I murmured a greeting, still staring after Mia even though she was long gone. I debated if I should go to her home anyways and press her to find out the real reason she was troubled or give her the time she had asked for. Ly’lah looked to where I was staring and then back towards me, her lips pursed into a thin line.

“You should not be playing with the earth females, Lakai,” Ly'lah said disapprovingly. “This one seems to think you are…dating. I don't know why she is thinking that.”

I snarled rounding on her quickly. “You will be respectful in how you address me. This is none of your concern, but you will be extra careful on how you speak of my Ke'Ola!”

She lowered her eyes quickly in a sign of submission, but then raised them wide eyed. “I meant no disrespect, but after what she said earlier I thought—” she gasped “Of course! Ke’Ola, not K’la!”

I felt a sense of foreboding come over me. “What are you talking about?”

She bowed her head again, but said quickly, “I had no idea, Lakai. When she asked me this earlier, she pronounced it wrong and I told her what it meant and—”

I cut her off impatiently. “Get to the point, what happened earlier?”

She looked up at me and said simply, “I overheard her and Ms. Gordon talking about you. Ms. Jones told me you were dating and asked me what k’la meant and I told her.” I looked at her dismayed. A k’la was a plaything. Someone you just wanted to have sex with, not a serious relationship. It was basically the earth equivalent of a booty call. No wonder she was acting strange! She thought I was just playing with her, that I wasn't serious. My jaw firmed. I had to make this right. “Call the Hale together. We meet this weekend, so I can announce my Ke'Ola, our new Pilia”. I turned away as she nodded and headed toward the elevator. It was time to fix things.