Phoenix

Maya's P.O.V.

My eye's narrowed at the women standing in front of me.

The one and only, Queen of Hearts.

It was like a scene from a movie.

The deep red smoke started to clear, as my mother made a very slow, very controlled, stride in my direction.

I was fucked.

"May! We gotta-" Carlos' voice died in his throat

I could feel his gaze shift from me, to burning a hated hole in my mother's skull.

"Maya," She said in such a calm voice I almost didn't even recognize it "My, how you've grown. I've been waiting for the day you would come back" She smiled the cruelest, most evil, horrible smile I have ever seen in my entire life

And that's saying something.

"Mom." Is all I said. All my energy was being forced into two things. Keeping my voice from cracking, and not letting my legs go numb from under me. 

Once Carlos got his thoughts straight, he immediately stepped in front of me protectively.

"Oh, Carlos?" She said in the most sickening tone "Won't you let a mother and daughter have a little, chat?"

"Over my dead body" Carlos growled, pushing me further back behind him, but since I was still in such a state of shock, my body wasn't able to move fast enough and I ended up falling to the ground.

I'm glad Carlos didn't notice because I know that if he had taken her eye's off her for more than a second, she would've beheaded him right then and there.

"Well, if you insist" She cackled

Ohhhh we are in some deep shit.

I heard another smoke bomb being thrown from behind us. Everything seemed to get blurry though.

Voice's got quieter.

Almost like they were underwater.

People started to get fuzzy.

Yellow.

That was the next color of the smoke bomb.

Yellow.

It mixed with the red of the previous bomb and made a bright orange.

It reminded me of the sunsets back in Auradon.

Auradon.

Were preppy princess walked around not having a clue of what we had been through before on the Isle.

The Isle.

We were here.

We were back.

We were sitting ducks that my mother was toying with.

She wanted us to play her little game.

I felt a burning.

An aching.

It seized my entire body and I screamed out in pain.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HER?!" I heard someone scream

Someone.

Carlos.

It was Carlos.

It felt like I was on fire. 

Every limb.

Every nerve.

Every hair on my body was aflame.