Prologue

I sat down before my laptop with a sigh, a mug of coffee in hand. This damn report is going to be the death of me. I grumbled under my breath.

Ring. Ring.

I walked over to my phone, my coffee still in my hand. 'Sadie! Watch the news NOW!' Came Kailey's panicked voice.

'Whoa spitfire, calm down and tell me what happened.'

'Just turn on your damn TV and watch!'

'This better not be some sick joke...' I said as I pick up the remote. My mug crashed on the floor, sending fragments and coffee everywhere.

'You serious?' My jaw is on the ground. On the screen, a man was munching on a half-dead woman's intestine, her screams were floating through my speakers. Shots were fired as the officers attempted to stop that man, yet bullets seemed to do nothing on him. His body will shudder as the bullets found their mark, but he seemed unfazed by the pain. An officer advanced to stand directly behind the man, ordering over and over again to stop and surrender, only to be answered by an animalistic snarl and a swipe to the face. A shot was fired, and a hole appeared on the man's head as he dropped like a stone, twitching all the way. In the background, the news reporters were looking on in horror, trying to make sense of what happened.

'Hay, what about I come over with Ash? Ethan is out of village right now.' Kailey spoke, still on the phone.

'Sure. I think we better stock up on food.' I said as I bend down to clean up the mess I've made.

An hour later Kailey's truck showed up on my driveway, loaded down with crackers and MREs.

'Seriously? MREs and crackers?'

'Well they last the longest and you hated them, sooooo they are here!' Kailey replied with a smug grin.

'Kailey you are such a pain in the rear end sometimes.' I groaned.

'A royal one too.' Ashton, usually called Ash snickered. I swear those two have a huge crush on each other from how they two bickered but are just too shy to admit it. Kailey crashed on my couch with a thump, pulling Ash down with her. The frame of my couch squealed in protest as Ash flicked a strand of red hair off of Kailey's face, his eyes filled with love.

'Movie marathon?'

Two weeks later the streets started to fill up with those people I saw on the news that day, it was known that a virus that caused such drastic change in one's behaviours and there is no cure for it. Once you got it, your human mind will be erased while the virus took over your body, just like what happens in those zombie movies of Hollywood, except that these zombies had beautifully clear blue eyes rather than red. Beautiful they are, but empty and lifeless.

'The infected cannot be killed by a bullet to the head, they will be knocked out, but not die...' The radio was going on and on about infected behaviours and survival tips while providing the research centre's location.

'Good to hear there are still some humans kicking around out there...' Ash sleepily commented on my couch with Kailey's head on his shoulder, his stormy grey eyes oozing with content. Seriously, those two should just admit it, they were already acting like a couple.

'What happened?' Stirring from her sleep, Kailey said while still half-asleep.

'Nothing, go back to cuddling Kailey.'

Kailey was turning to a rather interesting shade of red. 'It-it is just for warmth! Nothing more!' She stuttered.

'Rrrrrright I am sure of that...'