Just A Spark {11}

I opened my eyes and sat up, stretching. Ezra was lying on his bed, an earphone in, scrolling through his phone.

                “Good morning,” Ezra greeted, pulling his earphone out and smiling at me.

                “I’m hungry,” I said, pulling my glasses off of my face and rubbing the part of my ears where they had been resting. I forgot to take them off before I went to sleep last night.

                “Hi hungry, I’m Ezra,” he said.

                “Oh my god,” I moaned in horror. “You’re like a cheerful Mitch.” I picked up a pillow and chucked it at his face. “Stop that.”

                He laughed and stood up as I put my glasses back on. “Let’s go eat!”

                I got up as well and followed him downstairs to the kitchen. There was a girl sitting at the counter and the smell of waffles attacked my nose, making my stomach growl.

                “I made extra for you,” the girl said, not even bothering to look up at us.

                “This is my charming sister, Rachel,” Ezra introduced.

                “Hi,” Rachel said, though I wasn’t sure if she was saying hi to me or to her phone considering the fact that she still hadn’t taken her eyes off of it.

                “Hey. I’m Rio,” I said.

                Ezra went over to the waffle maker, starting to the pull the lid up. Rachel’s head shot up and she glared at him.

                “Ezra, cut it out. I was making food!” she snapped.

                “Oh, someone is grumpy,” Ezra said, pulling his hands away.

                “Idiot,” she growled.

                The waffle maker beeped a few minutes later and she got up, shoving Ezra out of the way. I watched him curiously, seeing his anger starting to swim, but then he smiled and moved away from her as she got her food and left the room.

                “She seems pleasant,” I said.

                “She has her days,” he said, pouring batter into the maker for us.

                Once we had our food, we sat down at the counter together and started eating. His mom came downstairs and glanced at us, smiling.

                “So, are you two going to be hanging around the house today?” she asked.

                “Nah, we’re heading out after we eat,” Ezra said.

                “We are?” I asked.

                “We are,” Ezra said with a nod.

                “Okay,” she said cheerfully and left the kitchen.

                We finished eating and went upstairs. We changed and got ready before leaving the house together.

                “So, where are we going?” I asked.

                Ezra shrugged. “Anywhere. My house is really boring,” he said. “There’s nothing to do there.”