Just A Spark {21}

I drove down to Ezra’s house and parked in the driveway. I got out of the car and went up to the front door, hesitating as my finger moved towards the doorbell.

                I pressed my ear up against the door, and could hear screaming coming from inside. My heart sank and I hastily rang the doorbell, wanting to end the screaming for Ezra, even if it was only temporarily.

                Mrs. Carelli pulled the door open, and her once friendly eyes now looked at me with a hint of distaste. She didn’t like the idea of her son dating another boy, and I was that boy.

                “Hi Mrs. Carelli,” I said. “Is Ezra home? Wow, what a stupid question, I’m the one who dropped him off here. Can I go up and talk to Ezra?”

                “Ezra’s a little busy,” she lied.

                “Please? It’s really important,” I said, trying to look innocent, my mind working fast. I needed a lie. “It has to do with Lucas.”

                “His best friend?” she asked, looking surprised.

                I nodded. “Yea, that Lucas,” I said.

                She hesitated before stepping aside. “Alright, he’s upstairs,” she said.

                I could remember Ezra saying his mom liked wine, and knew it was true. I could smell it on her breath.

                Ezra dad came out and gave me the same look as his wife had. Mrs. Carelli forced a smile as she moved over to him.

                “Rio’s here to see Ezra! Something about Lucas,” she said happily.

                Mr. Carelli nodded. “Alright.”

                She put an arm around his waist, trying to play the happy couple. I hurried up the stairs and let myself into Ezra’s bedroom.

                Ezra was sitting in the middle of his floor, his knees pulled up to his chest, rocking himself back and forth. His eyes were squeezed shut and his hands were pressed against his ears.

                “Stop fighting, stop fighting, stop fighting.” He kept whispering it, over and over.

                I knelt next to him, placing a hand on his back. He jumped and looked up at me in terror. But then his expression cleared and he smiled.

                “Rio! Couldn’t stay away, huh?” He tilted his head and kissed me.

                “I’m busting you out,” I said, helping him up.

                “Oh?” He raised an eyebrow. “Hate to break it to you, kid, but my mom won’t let me leave again. She says I’ve been out for too long and need to spend some time home.”

                “I’m not waiting until tonight,” I said, knowing that he would sneak out to the wall at night.

                “Well how do you plan to break me out of here?” he asked, looking amused.

                “I can get you out for at least a little. Tell your mom we have to go visit Lucas,” I said. “I told her that’s why I was here.”

                He shrugged. “Okay!”

                We went downstairs and into the kitchen, where his parents were. His mom forced a smile despite the fact that Ezra was holding my hand.