Just A Spark {20}

I woke up and looked over, realizing that Ezra was already up. I reached over and put my glasses on.

                “Good morning,” he said, kissing me.

                “Yea, morning,” I said with a yawn.

                Ezra shifted, sitting up and helping me up. We got out of my bed together and made our way out to the kitchen.

                “Good morning boys!” mom said with a smile. “Or should I say afternoon? Rio, you’ve been out forever. I went to check on you around ten, and Ezra was awake but you were out like a light. Are you feeling okay?”

                “I’m feeling great,” I said, stretching. “I just like my sleep. I think Mitch’s sleeping habits are rubbing off on me.”

                Mom frowned. “Well that’s not good.”

                I laughed and sat at the table. “If it’s afternoon, I guess we better get going. Hank’s probably anxious to get out of here,” I said, glancing at the clock.

                “Rio, are you sure about this?” mom asked nervously.

                I nodded. “I’m positive. I’ve got Ezra here as backup in case he steals my eyesight from me again,” I said, pointing at my glasses. “Everything will be fine, mom. Besides, he needs to get out of the house before he goes too stir crazy. I’ll keep an eye on him, I promise.”

                “Yea, Rio will keep four eyes on him,” Ezra said, and winced when I punched him.

                “Rio!” Mom shook her head. “Alright, alright. Here.” She handed me some money. “I’ll go get Hank. You go get dressed.”

                I jumped up and led Ezra to my bedroom. The two of us got dressed and brushed our teeth and hair before heading out to the kitchen.

                Hank was there in his shorts and hoodie despite the heat. Mom must have made him fix his hair a little, because it wasn’t as messy as usual.

                He looked anxious to get out of the house. “Let’s go already,” he said impatiently. “God, you sleep forever.”

                “God can sleep for as long as he wants,” I said, grabbing the car keys and gesturing at my brother and boyfriend to follow me.

                We climbed into the car and I pulled out of the driveway. I drove us to Hank’s favorite restaurant and parked the car.

                The three of us went inside and were seated. We gave our drink orders before opening the menus.

                “Ezra!”

                We looked up as a guy came over with a smile. Ezra returned the smile, waving cheerfully.

                “Hi Lucas!” he said.

                “If this your boyfriend?” the guy asked curiously, glancing at me.

                “Rio Snyder, best friend of Mitch Marion,” Ezra said and laughed.

                “Hi. I’m Lucas. I’m Ezra’s best friend,” the guy said, holding his hand out to me.

                I shook it. “I’m Rio. I’m screwing your best friend.”