Ice Cream

Spoiler Alert(s): N/A
Content Warning(s): Brief and Non-Explicit Mentions of Sex, Very Cracky
Story Length: 1251 words

Danny was sitting in the living room of the Horsemen's apartment, working his bottom lip between his teeth, when he heard it. He was absorbed in his book, My Brain is Open by Bruce Schechter, but the noise broke through the bubble that had formed around him. The bubble that even Danny's boyfriend Dylan had been unable to penetrate was broken by something as small, as simple, as...

     Danny threw his book onto the couch and jumped up. It was closer now. And unmistakable. It's the ice cream truck jingle.

     Danny ran over to Dylan's room and pounded on the door. "Dylan!" he yelled. "Dylan, let me in."

     Merritt opened his bedroom door and peeked his head out. He threw daggers at his teammate and growled, "Some people are trying to enjoy some peace and quiet, Danny. Some people are doing important things."

     Danny didn't even spare Merritt a glance, snapping, "Oh, shut it, McKinney, we all know you're trying to make a card pyramid because you can't even get two storeys on them," before returning to his business with Dylan's door. Danny didn't need to see Merritt spluttering to know it happened.

     The door was suddenly yanked open and Danny's fist accidentally landed on Dylan's shoulder. That probably added to the irritation in Dylan's voice when he said slowly, "What?"

     "I need money," said Danny.

     "Wh — ? Why?" questioned Dylan, his scowl now a confused frown.

     "Don't ask questions! Money! Now!" rushed Danny. "Quickly!"

     Dylan narrowed his eyes. "Really, Danny? When I try to cuddle you while you're reading, I get a whine and a kick, and then when you wake me up from my nap — which is much more interruptive, by the way — I'm the one who gets more whines and a punch? What is this?"

     "Dyl-an."

     "See! Whines!"

     Danny hears the jingle again and he straightens up. Okay, new tactic. "Babe, babe," he said, scrambling for Dylan's arms to hold him still. "Listen, okay? Listen and you'll understand."

     Dylan heaved an exasperated sigh but obeyed anyway. Then...

     Eyes wide, Dylan snatched his wallet off the desk inside his room and grabbed Danny's hand. "Run, run!" he said frantically.

     Danny had no complaints to that.

     Rushing out the front door, the couple bumped into Lula and Jack, smiling widely, blushing madly, and suspiciously tousled. Usually, Danny would tease them and Dylan would try to get confessions out of them, but this time they just shoved the other, less gay couple out of their way.

     "Move it, kiddos!" shouted Danny. "We gotta go."

     Jack frowned. "What? Where?"

     "Yeah, is everything okay?" asked Lula.

     "No time to talk," rushed out Dylan. The chime reached their eyes again and they exchanged a look. "Be good, kids!"

     With that, the two ran down the hall, leaving a confused Jack and an annoyed Lula, both saying, "We're not kids!" Though Lula added, "You guys are just old!"

     Danny and Dylan sprinted to the ice cream truck on the other end of the street. They were the first there. They both got their ice cream, though Dylan paid.