chapter seven | only human (sort of)

CHAPTER 7; ONLY HUMAN (SORT OF)-"You'd pull the world right off my backAnd put it in your hand

-
"You'd pull the world right off my back
And put it in your hand."
-
Out of Order Michl
-

At a glance, one would assume that Remus Lupin was well, happy. He had a great group of friends, there was usually at least a shadow of a smile on his face, he was considered fairly popular and was always surrounded by people. No matter if he liked all the company or not. He usually didn't. 

However, they couldn't be more than wrong. Yes, there were times he felt happy but he wasn't happy. At the worst times, it felt like his soul was detached from his body and he was watching himself from up on a cloud. Almost like a dream. Nothing felt real.

Remus was sick. Sick in every way imaginable. He could easily blame it on the lycanthropy and while that was indeed a factor, it was the easiest way to understand himself. There was always a feeling in the pit of his stomach, a sick feeling, and throughout the lunar cycle, the pit grew into a pebble, then a rock until it was a boulder threatening to burst open and split him in two.  The day after the full moon it would start to shrink. Just like the waxing and waning of the moon.

No one could possibly feel more alone than him. In his first year, he decided that for the benefit of others he would try his best to isolate himself. A certain James Potter and Sirius Black made that very difficult.  Remus would try his very best to avoid them but they were like the ticking of a clock. Never ceasing and at times, incredibly annoying. However, he couldn't help but admit they did come in handy sometimes. So Remus let them stick around.

It was the day before the full moon. The poor boy was incredibly moody at this time of the month. His friends often liked to joke and compare him to Lily during her time of the month. Remus couldn't help it, it wasn't really his fault. He had been dealing with this for years, he should be used to the routine by now but there was always the nagging thought in the back of his mind that he was going to hurt someone.

"Moony, you try every month to tell us to bugger off it's not happening." James sighed dramatically and placed a hand on Remus's shoulder as he hunched over the breakfast table.

"Yeah mate, we know what we're doing now stop worrying about it. When has anything ever gone wrong when you're with us." Sirius slapped his hand down on Remus's other shoulder.

Glancing between his two friend's cheeky smiles he scoffed. "Uh, things always go wrong with you two around."

James looked to be deep in thought for a second before replying. "You've got a point but it's irrelevant."

"That's debatable," Remus mumbled. "Whatever, it's clear I'm not going to be able to stop you all so whatever."

To an outsider, it would look as if Remus was being incredibly rude to his friends who were clearly trying to help him out. His friends knew better though, they knew he secretly appreciated the effort they all put in for him. It was just the moodiness talking at this point in time.