FIVE.

☆彡

when the motormouth tozier kids got into their mother's car, they bombarded her with stories of their day and the experiences with school.
"wait! did dad leave already?" reece asked as he pulled his homework out of his backpack.

"yes he did, why?" eileen asked as she sighed from being stuck in the california traffic.
reece tozier sat back and reclined his feet on his mother's console.
"i just hate when dad leaves, he always makes me laugh." reece stated, beginning his homework.

jay scoffed and pushed her brother's feet off of the console. her hostility resulted in her brother sitting up abruptly.
"jay, what the fuck?! my feet weren't even touching you!" reece snapped, his eyebrows stitching together in anger.

eileen sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. she hated california traffic to begin with, but being stuck in it with her kids made it nearly unbearable.
"jay, please stop." eileen scolded softly, glancing over to her daughter.

"why can't he just plant his feet on the floor where they belong? why do you always take up for him?" jay snapped towards her mother, causing eileen to raise an eyebrow in awe.

"you know, jade, i don't like your attitude right now. i don't know what has gotten into you, but it's not necessary." eileen snapped back and shook her head in disapproval.

"yeah. jay, you don't have to be a bitch just because you're going through puberty or whatever." reece commented as he continued to work through his math homework.

jade tozier only grimaced at his comment and stared angrily out of the car window. eileen let out a groan as she sat back in her seat. the tozier matriarch heard her phone chime from inside of her purse.
"reece, can you check that please?" eileen asked as she glanced back at her son in the mirror.

reece placed his pencil on the seat and reached inside of his mother's purse, pulling out her iphone. his face lit up when he saw that the notification was from his dad.

"it's dad! can i call him?" reece asked excitedly, attempting to unlock his mother's phone to call his dad.
"i'm not sure now is a great time, reece. what did he say?" eileen asked, finally beginning to move in the traffic.

reece's face dropped in sadness because he couldn't call his father, but he read the message aloud anyways.
"the plane just landed and now i'm off the meet up with eds and the other guys. and beverly of course. mom, who's eds? and who's beverly?" reece's face twisted in confusion.

"uncle eddie, you idiot. mom and dad named you after him." jade spoke up with her head leaning against the car window.

jade had met her uncle eddie kaspbrak possibly three times in her life, but only remembered two of the times. reece, on the other hand, only knew eddie from the photos and the stories that his mother and father told him.

"don't call your brother an idiot—and beverly is an old friend of ours. we truly met her when we were around jay's age," eileen informed, her car exiting off of the highway.

jade listened to her mom's story, wanting to hear more about the child and teenage version of her mother. "we were all in this group, they called us the losers' club. there was eight of us...me, your dad, uncle eddie, bill denbrough, ben hanscom, mike hanlon, stan uris, and beverly marsh," eileen grew a smile on her face.

"stan, actually, he was my first boyfriend. then, your dad and i started dating. we all hung out each summer before i'd go away to summer camp. we hung out at a quarry, or either in the town square. one summer was different though." eileen sighed as she thought about 1989 and it.

"the summer of eighty-nine?" jade asked non-chalantly.
"yes, actually. we had an adventure with a....with something. that's why your dad had to go back." eileen stated, not wanting to get into the logistics of it and derry's disturbing past.

"why didn't you go back?" jade asked as she glanced at her mother. eileen took a quick glance over towards her daughter before looking back at the road.
"because richie and i made a deal with each other, he goes back and i take care of you guys. that's how he wanted it and in the long run, i think this way is better." eileen explained.

she noticed that reece had gotten entirely way too quiet in the backseat. glancing in her mirror, she saw that her son had fallen asleep while doing his homework.
"mom, what exactly is dad dealing with?" jade tozier asked, finally becoming fully invested in her mother's stories.

"it." was all that eileen responded with.