SIX.

☆彡

jade would never admit it, but she had always been fascinated with her parents' teenage years. the thought of her mother and father being young kids often made her wonder, what were they like?

she remembered going up to their attic in search for ornaments for their christmas tree one year and she stumbled across a small box labeled 'summer letters from richie.' unbeknownst to her parents, the young teenager took the letters and read through them.

she spent weeks after school reading through the letters, learning more about her parents when they were teenagers. some days she'd laugh at the jokes that her father wrote in the letters, some of the letters made her upset—especially during the summer that richie and eileen dealt with their first big fight.

jade and her father had always been close, she favored him over her mother simply because their personalities were very similar and she knew that deep down, she was his favorite. richie often let her into his office to use his laptop for school work, or just simple entertainment.

the tozier girl readjusted her beanie on her head, opening the laptop. richie's number one rule was "keep the laptop in the office," but jade often broke rules.

after the car ride with her mom and hearing her say that her father was dealing with 'it' sparked a light bulb in her head. jay remembered reading about 'it' and the summer of '89 in her parents' letters, she even recalled them discussing about a clown.

jay's fingers danced across the keyboard, typing in 'derry, maine' into the search engine. her blue eyes widened at the results that appeared.

'the derry murders'
'records from death of g. denbrough, p. hockstetter, b. ripsom revealed'
'is derry, maine a slaughter town?'

"what the fuck?" the young girl muttered under her breath. she clicked on the second link and began to read.

"...the late missus smith revealed on her deathbed that she witnessed the death of the young georgie denbrough." jay muttered, racking her brain for where she had heard that last name.

then it occurred to her that bill denbrough was apart of her mother's friend group. was georgie the start of the murders, jay pondered.
the thirteen year old continued to scroll through the webpage.

the sound of a door slamming caused her to jump and she felt her heart skip three beats. her mother's voice sounded throughout the hallway.
"i'm glad you made it there safely. is everyone else there?" jay heard her mother converse.

the teen walked carefully over to the door to get a better listen to her mother's conversation.
"he didn't make it? what do you mean, richie?......ri–richard!.....no, i want you to tell me what you meant....richie, what happened to stan?....wha—no," jay heard her mom pause for the longest.

"richie, please tell me that you're lying. if this is some...some fucking joke! he didn't!.....but i-it's stan." that time eileen got choked up. jay opened her door and walked down to her parents' room.

standing in the doorframe, jay watched as her mom wiped the tears from her eyes.
"i can't....no, bill, you don't get it!" eileen spoke into the phone.

jay's eyebrows stitched together before realizing that her mother was now speaking to bill denbrough. the teenager watched her mother sniffle over whatever news that she had just received.

"i can't risk the lives of my kids!....i don't give a shit about seven being a lucky number, bill. no!.....my kids outweigh the losers anyday, put richie back on the phone," eileen commanded.

eileen's blue eyes glanced up towards her daughter. she placed up her index finger, signaling 'one minute' as she thought that her daughter needed something.

"richie, no......no, we talked about this....do you want to risk it? risk them?.....rich—richard! listen to yourself!....listen to what it is doing to you. no! i'm not bringing them to derry...no." eileen shook her head.

jay folded her arms over her chest as she watched her mother argue with her dad. she wanted to be with her dad again, she truly did. however, after reading about derry, she wasn't so sure.

"fine, you know what? i'll do it! it'll be a blast, richie! fighting clowns and risking our children's life!.....whatever......i'll look for flights tonight," eileen grumbled in annoyance with her husband. "fuck off, richie......i love you too." eileen sighed and ended the call.

jay perked up and looked at her mom.
"mom, what's going on? is dad okay?" jay asked, stepping towards eileen.

"pack your suitcase sweetheart. we might be going to derry." eileen responded.