olive//1.5

She laughed and as I turned onto my side, "Yes, I still bite my finger nails." The futon seemed extra uncomfortable tonight. Of course, I hadn't slept in my actual bed for almost six months. Perks of my sister, who had taken over my room.

"I'm sure you've forgotten everything about me," I could hear the disappointment in Rain's voice.

That wasn't true at all. I remembered everything about Rain. How could I forget? She had been my Rain for over two years. Just because the timing was wrong between us doesn't mean I moved on right away and forgot all about her.

"No, I could never. Go ahead ask me something," I replied.

"Okay... well, I'm not sure. Easy question or hard question first?"

I decided to take my chances, "Hard question."

"What is my second favorite color?" She asked I could almost see her smirk.

"Oh, come on! That's a really hard question. But, your second favorite color is purple. Your first favorite color is yellow." It was actually an easy question for me. I know Rain better than I know myself.

"Wow, I honestly thought you would had forgotten," I could picture Rain in my head smiling at that moment.

"Ask me an easy one?"

"Who's my favorite dog in the whole, wide world?"

At my house, we have a wonderful dog. His name is Blue. He is the biggest, fluffiest husky I've ever seen. From the time Rain first met Blue it was love at first sight. It got to the point I didn't want Blue hanging out with us because Rain obviously loved him more than me.

"Blue, silly. You're obsessed with my dog," I chuckled. I hesitated with what I really wanted to say. "Can we talk about us?"

"No, I'd rather not," she answered.

I had a feeling she wouldn't want to talk about all that had happened. I just wanted the so-called elephant in the room to be gone. Instead I decided to bring up something else. "Did you know Alexa and I broke up?"

Rain was silent for a moment before saying, "I'm so sorry."

I chuckled, "It's okay. Well, it's not. It sucks, but it's okay."

"Why?" Rain questioned.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "It was her. Slowly she just stopped talking to me. I sent her this long paragraph asking what we were and she barely responded. One day, she just stopped talking to me completely. She then told me it was over."

"I'm so, so sorry. You deserve better." I was surprised, after everything, she thought I deserved better.

"Thank you," I murmured.

We remained silent for a moment before I spoke up. "I know we can't be together, but I wish we could go back and change things."

I heard Rain sigh sadly, "I wish so too."

"Sometimes I look out my window towards your apartment and hope you're looking too. It makes me feel less lonely," I explained.

"I do that too," she paused. "I um think I should go to sleep."

I could tell Rain felt uncomfortable. She was escaping the conversation with me. I understood of course, I had sprung this conversation on her. "Wait... I uh I'm not going to abandon you again. We are friends now and we will always be friends."

"We will always be friends. Goodnight," Rain replied and hung up.

"Goodnight, Rainy Day," I whispered just to myself.

I rolled to my stomach and almost fell off my futon. I heard a pitter-patter by the door of the room. "Blue?" I whispered into the air. I turned my head to see the husky wagging his tail. "Come here you dog," I reached for his collar and pulled him towards me. In return, Blue jumped on the futon and snuggled next to me.

I sighed, "Blue? You miss her too right?" In response Blue licked my hand. "Yeah... it's unfortunate how we worked out. I really would change it if I could."