olive//4.5

I had boughten Blue a yellow collar after finding out it was Rain's favorite color. It was mostly covered up by his fur, but today I noticed it more than ever. I couldn't help but wonder if she remembered the collar. Even if she's forgotten, she'll remember after today.

I called out to Mom asking her for a ride. Since we only had the one car and dogs aren't favored on subways, my mom's car becomes my only option. Luckily, my mom had to take off of work today for my sister.

"Okay! Let's go, Olive!" My mom called. I grabbed Blue's leash and headed out the door.

New York's traffic is always an experience. Bumper to bumper traffic makes it seem like you'll never reach your destination. I opened the car window and let Blue stick his head out. Impatiently I tapped on the dash board and my mom glared at me.

"Are you meeting someone? I'm guessing you are since you're leaving your sister home alone," my mom turned her head towards me and back before any traffic inched forward.

"Actually I'm meeting Rain," I scratched the back of my head.

"Woah! I didn't know you were over Alexa," my mom gasped.

"I'm not dating Rain, Mom. We're just friends. I just really want to be her friend again," I glanced out the window to see we were almost at Tiny's.

"That's good. You could use a good friend," my mom smiled. I nodded as we finally arrived at Tiny's.

She was wearing a light blue sweater and black leggings. Her hair was tied back in a low bun with pieces of hair falling out of it. She was gripping her phone with both hands and was turning her head searching for me. I loved the fact she was looking for me.

Rain turned her head and finally saw me. She smiled and walked towards me. I awkwardly waved in response.

"Want to sit outside?" I questioned and tugged on Blue's leash.

"Well, we have to anyway because of Bluey," Rain replied and bent down to pet Blue.

"Oh, yeah right," I awkwardly chuckled. "Blue missed you."

"I missed him too," Rain said in a high pitched voice and continued to stroke Blue.

We sat at a table I remembered very well. The last time we had sat there I had asked Rain to move with me. She had refused. I had been angry and left. I was selfish then, I've changed.

We ordered some warm drunken donuts and two coffees. It was cloudy outside and added to the strange atmosphere of our brunch. It all felt somewhat odd. But I was with Rain, so I didn't really care.

"Is this a little awkward?" Rain asked breaking the silence.

"Yes, that's what I was thinking. Um, ask me a question to help make it less awkward," I placed my napkin on my lap and crossed my arms.

The waiter came and delivered our donuts and we began to munch as Rain asked, "Why did you like Alexa so much?"

I choked on my donut and began to cough. Rain gave me a 'are you ok?' look. I gave Rain a thumbs up and replied, "I don't know. At the time, I thought she was everything I was looking for. She was kind and confident; she didn't wear makeup, her hair is so long, and I didn't even care that she was taller than me. But, there were problems. I just ignored them. I was wrong for giving my heart to her."

Rain looked down and bit into another donut. "How did you leave me so easily?" She looked right into my eyes and it took me a second to fully comprehend the question.

"It wasn't easy at all, Rain. How could you think that? It destroyed me to leave you. I loved you too much. I cared too deeply and it destroyed me. It made me change. It made me a different person. I didn't just fall in love with you. I ran into it, with my eyes wide open and my mind wide awake. And when I left it, I left a huge part of myself with it."

It was silent for a moment. All the donuts were now gone. Rain took a long sip of her coffee and patted Blue's head. Blue moved against her leg.

Suddenly, Rain grinned and looked up at me. "You kept the yellow collar," Rain grasped Blue's collar.

"Yeah, I always loved it," I petted Blue's back.

"I don't understand how you could move on from me so quickly. How could you like her so much so fast?" Rain shook her head.

"I don't know what else to say," I frowned.

"It's okay," she smiled sadly. "I know what we are and what we aren't."