olive//2.5

I shuffled my feet against the wooden floor. It was colder in the morning. I made my way to my sister's room or actually my room that she has taken over. Blue followed me and leapt on my bed. "Why hello my dear Blue!" My sister smiled and patted Blue's head.

I scratched my head and sat on the edge of the bed. "I have a very important question for you," I declared.

"Shoot," my sister lay back against the head board.

"Can you stay friends with an ex?" By this I meant forget the nights where we laid together. The nights where she lay her head on my chest and everything was right in the world. The nights where we made silly promises, but meant them more than anything. And more importantly can you remember and still let go?

"Maybe," she hesitated. "I mean if you're over her and she's over you. By that I just mean: can you remember and not want to go back to that? Can you remember and not be sad?"

I shook my head, "I don't know." I laid down next to her and Blue crawled in between us.

"You broke her heart, Olly." My sister only used my nickname when she was trying to be extra kind. She didn't need to be gentle.

"And she broke mine," I replied and left the room. I couldn't bare to be there anymore, too many memories.

Somewhere in my heart I knew the truth. I could never be just friends with Rain. Maybe it's because her ideas of souls. She always spoke of how her mother believes in them. Once two souls come together they can never completely part.

Maybe it's because I cannot get her presents out of my head. I can look towards the living room of my house and see her and my sister laughing on the couch calling towards me to come and watch some silly show. I can feel her falling asleep on my shoulder, her breath slowing to gentle sounds. I can turn a corner and still expect to see her waiting for me. I can't help but wonder if that will ever go away.

If Rain and I could be together, I would had done everything to make it happen by now. Our break up was too much, way too much to take. I can never forget what made us end. Unfortunately, Rain and I didn't have a future.

The sound of coffee percolating took my out of my thoughts. My sister had made coffee for me. She hated coffee and swore it would kill me. I exclaimed she will die before I will. She found that to be true, but said Blue will live longer than I.

I turned to the kitchen and noticed something on the table. "When did you buy roses?" I asked my sister.

"I didn't, Mom did," my sister grinned. I always thought it was ironic my sister's name was Rose. Mom was a great enthusiast of puns.

I grabbed the coffee mug and made my way to our balcony. It was a small balcony, but we had a small table and chair there that I liked to do my school work at. I'm in university online. I'm a music major; music is kinda my thing.

Jazz music is my thing. I love the way the music moves. It flows and bounces. Slowly it changes and morphs into something completely different. It's imagination and collaboration. As one can tell, it's my thing.

I worked for a couple hours. Traffic raced on the street below. I noticed a Volkswagen Beetle of a light blue color. It reminded me of Rain's car. Most people don't have cars in New York City. It takes too long to get anywhere in traffic. Rain only had a car because of me. My dream car was a Volkswagen Beetle. My mom couldn't afford it with all the medical bills. Rain could though, she was always good with saving her money. Rain bought the car for me. I couldn't expect it. It was too much for me, so I agreed she should keep the car and I could drive it when I wanted to.

I didn't drive the car often when we were together. There wasn't much need to drive. But, I still loved the car. Rain wanted me to take it when things went bad between us. However, I told her to keep it and listen to jazz when she drove it. She agreed to that deal.

I thought of her now driving it somewhere. Jazz music playing loudly, she would drive to the book store. The book store is basically her second home. And at least I know when she drives like that she must think of me, at least a little. Maybe I can never fully leave her memory.

Blue came and sat by the door wanting me to come inside. Sighing I shut down my laptop and went inside. "Good boy Blue! Olly come watch a movie with me!" Rose called.

Blue licked my leg and went to the couch where my sister was laying. "I have school, you know," I chucked going to sit next to her.

"You're too distracted by Rain to do your work anyway," Rose grinned.

I pat Blue's head and nodded, "I uh don't know what to do."

"Be her friend. It's the best you can do."