Chapter Eight

John's eyes open and as his eyes adjusted to the light he saw that he was in the hospital with the cop that was at his house standing at the foot of the bed.

"Hello Mr. McGovern. If you don't remember me, I am the officer who responded to the break in and attempted rape of Katie Johnson."

"I remember." John said. "How long was I  out?"

"Three days. Now we have three dead, and including you, four severely beaten. Why don't we start with what happened."

John told the cop what happened. "l have to interview one more person, you better hope their story matches up with yours."

"Can I go see Katie?" John asked wearily.

"She's not conscious yet but I'll arrange for it."

They let John in. Seeing Katie like that, her face beaten and her chest and arms covered in bruises. John sat down beside her and placed her hand in his. As if by some miracle by true love's "touch" Katie woke up. When she caught site of John sitting next to her, holding her hands she began to cry.

"John." she managed to get out. "I'm sorry."

"Its ok. Don't talk, get some rest."

"No, I need to say this." she said. "You were wrong, people do change, and I'm not just saying this just because you saved my life. I love you John and I don't care who knows it."

There was a knock on the door, officer Jim and Jerry were standing in the doorway.

"So what happens now?" John asked.

The cop looks at Jerry, John and Katie. "The people who did this to you kids got away." The cop winked at them and showed a slight smile as he left.